Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:31 PM

well i tried everything but nothing seems to fit... any support? :biggrin:

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

BEST keys fit into BEST locks. There are 16 variations on the keyway, with no interchangeability. (This does not include the additional keyways that result from the other brands of keys that can be used with the interchangeable core system, i.e. Arrow, Falcon, etc.) There is a master for the regular BEST keyways, but the key is thin and fragile enough to make it worthless in the application of bumping.

That being said, give the forum a quick search on bumping BEST locks. They don't use a shoulder to stop the key in the keyway, and the result of bumping is generally the complete destruction of the lock. All in all, it's a terrible idea. (Not to dissuade you or anything, but BEST locks are not cheap!)

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

theopratr,

Did this thread show up as new for you? For some reason I didn't get it...

I can attest to that as while practicing with BEST locks we've... hrmm.... ruined one or two. I wouldn't start with a BEST lock. Get the principles down first and then move up to a BEST lock.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 alpha23

alpha23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:12 PM

ok, thanks guys.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

slick - It did show up new to me, but every once in a while there will clearly be new threads but they will appear as read. A glitch in the system, marking all new threads as read, perhaps?

#6 tmedocianis

tmedocianis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Which key blank is the master for the Best?

#7 Rogue

Rogue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:39 AM

Which key blank is the master for the Best?

There isn't really a "master" for BEST locks. You would need to really determine that for the area you're operating in. Here the BEST series i run into the most uses the ILCO B1 blank, but i only run into them all of about 5 times a year. But it's very likely that your area will differ from mine.
You just need to be aware of the locks around you. Any time you go somewhere look at all the locks around you and try to identify the keyway, if you don't recognize it, make a sketch of it and look it up on the ILCO website. Do that for about a month or so and you should have a very good idea of the common bump keys you would need.
You have a kwikset knob lock and no dead bolt on your doors and you think you can keep me out... aww thats so cute.

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

There does, in fact, exist a master for the BEST keyways.

However, as there are well over a dozen oddly-shaped BEST keys in common circulation, you're not going to get a working bump key off of the master. Even the nickel-steel variety will snap on you, as it's almost literally paper-thin.

Given that BEST locks are a pain in the arse to bump in the first place, the thin BEST master, being very thin, has a good deal of wobble to it. Thus, not only are you at great risk of breaking it in the lock, the key will be useless due to the instability of the key in the keyway. For BEST locks, if you want any prayer of bumping them, you really need the specific key for the keyway.