snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:22 AM

i have a question that fits this

can you use and m1 key on an m3 lock?

i made the key my self and it works on m1 locks, but it's poorly cut key

(waiting on my key from here so i can copy it)

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

I've gone ahead and created a new thread for this. It's always better to start a new thread when asking a new question - this allows people to better find information.

The M1 will definitely NOT (and vise versa) fit into a M3 Master pad lock as it's a totally different key way.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:47 AM

it fits. but will it be bumpable?

#4 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

no.3 on the left
no.1 on the right

Posted Image

my M1 key fits both locks fine
but i can't for the life of me bump the 3

#5 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

I'm a super noob bumper, but since the gurus don't seem to be checking the forums yet, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Looking at them, I notice that the pins on the No. 3 are visible, and seem to drop down quite a bit. I can't see the pins on the No. 1. Whether this is because they are hiding in the shadows, or are quite far up, I don't know. Either way, I would look real close and see how far the pins drop down on that No. 1. If there's a big difference, you won't be able to bump it, at least if the key is filed down for the other lock.

The spacing between the pins will also cause a big problem if they are significantly different. That may be harder to judge though. One (or all) of the gurus probably know exactly what each lock looks like inside, so I'd bet they could give you a definate answer.

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

Sigh.

I was under the impression you were talking about a Master M1 and a Master M3 key... not a Number '#1' and '#3' lock. Head to masterlock.com and you'll actually be able to see the key types for each lock. If it is indeed the same key, it should bump no problem.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

They are, in fact, the same key. Both the Master Lock No. 1 and Master Lock No. 3 padlocks use an M1 key.

The No. 1 doesn't show any visible pins. Judging from the deep impression above the keyway, it looks like it has been beaten into the ground. A little bit of lubrication may help that out.

#8 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:49 AM

If you look closely at the keyway on the No. 1, not only is there a ding above it but the right side appears to be bent. It looks like "/" instead of "|". Just compare it to the No. 3 and how straight it is on the right side of the top of the keyway.

This is proof-perfect that a lock can be damaged by excessive bumping.
Bump it to the next level.

#9 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:54 AM

I've never bumped one to the point of pins getting absolutely mauled, but the majority of my test locks sitting on my desk have healthy dimples on the face of the plug!

#10 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

i still can't get the m3 to bump with the m1 key but i just got an m5 to bump with the m1 key.

the m1 in the picture above is beat to death you can hear the pins rattle around if you shake it.

will any general lubricant work for locks that are a bit stiff?

#11 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:50 PM

update:

i can bump the no.1, no.3, no.5 with the M1 key

didn't even have to file the shoulder or tip

#12 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

It should be noted for clarity that the blank is an M1, and that the locks are Master No. 1, No. 3, No. 5, etc.

All of these locks take an M1 blank. There is such a thing as an M3 blank, but it is a tiny key, and is certainly not used in a Master No. 3 lock.

Any lubricant will work to loosen the lock up, although you might want to invest in a new lock, as the one you posted a picture of looks like it has sustained rather heavy bumping damage. Dry lubricants are usually preferable; graphite works great, although a non-corrosive wet lubricant such as Tri-Flow also works wonders. WD-40 or similar petroleum based lubricants can be corrosive in the long term, but can certainly be used if you're not too concerned about the longevity of the lock in question.

#13 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

add the No.40 to the list for the M1 key
i know as long as the key fits it should bump but i like to check for my self

#14 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

I had the same query once but when i go the locks i found that due to difference in the keyway the key will not fit.
Sandy