• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shk

shk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:28 AM

I mean I have yet to find a topic dedicated to actually bumping.

It's all just "wow this is what a bump key looks like" or "hey look if you cut off shoulder it will work." The most info I got was from the public wiki which says to apply torque while bumping. But you guys seem pretty good so here I am.

Anyway, I have my own handheld lock so it should be easier for me to get it...and I've done cuts a lil lower than 9. And I filed off tip and shoulder areas but I'm afraid it might be too much.

Questions:

- Is there anything I need to do besides apply consistent turning pressure and bump (gently, hard?)? Or am I supposed to hit the key and then try to turn it a splitsecond later?
I'm confused about the actual technical method.

- If I filed off too much shoulder/tip would that cause a problem?
- Is the key supposed to be in just enough before I feel the pressure of the next pins? So how much gap would I usually have left?

#2 chriscoooper

chriscoooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I just did my first bumping today, and got it to work (as did my 11 yr old), so these are my impressions.

The tip and the shoulder cuts are very small. The toool doc says to cut it between 1/4 and 1/2mm. I dotn think filing off too much has to be a problem, as long as you have the key in a normal depth before whacking it.

As for the timing, you put a small pressure on the key before and while whacking it, just like the light pressure you use when picking a lock. And teh bump is not light (tink) but also not hard like swinging a hammer.

#3 shk

shk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:07 PM

So you're applying force the whole way through or is there an actual timing to trying to turn the key?

'Cause I was trying to turn it the whole time, and i would bump it during that.

The funny thing is...I hear some of the pins lock in, and then when i release key I hear them falling down - as if only some of the pins opened.

#4 Fbump

Fbump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:11 AM

You apply only the slightest force while bumping the key, to much force and it won't work right. I kind of think of it as my finger or thumb being like a feather sitting on the key. I tend to push the key all the way in and then pull it out one pin. I let the key sit in the natural position it goes to and then apply a constant slight pressure and then give it a wack. With about 2 or so hours of practice I could get a hand lock every other time and a door lock about 1 in 5.
Mind you I'm in no way an expert in bumping, just a novice amused by the idea of bump keys.

-FBump

#5 shk

shk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 09:50 AM

Yea my problem is that the hand lock I practice on is really crappy so the pins barely bounce up.

My door lock is a bit better cause it's higher quality, but I get weird looks when I sit there with a key and hammer hitting my door lol.

#6 chriscoooper

chriscoooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 05:40 PM

If your lock is sticky or tough, consider buying some graphite and shoot some intot he lock, it will make everything move more smoothly. could make it easier to bump?

#7 trout

trout

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:46 AM

good posts guys thanks I have yet to try the method as well but good info!

#8 shk

shk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

Yea, thank you from me as well. :)
The graphite is the only solution I've heard for old/sticky locks - very good.

#9 digitxm

digitxm

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 06:51 PM

where are people buying this grafite, and what is it called (in stores)

#10 chriscoooper

chriscoooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

graphite is a powder that is very slick and acts like a lubricant. Could be called graphite powder. Can get it from lock stores, hardware stores, and hobbyu stores. The boy scouts use it a lot for the wheels on their pinewood derby cars. It usually comes in a small tube, and you squeeze it to shoot it into the lock.

#11 MrArsonal

MrArsonal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

Posted Image

#12 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

http://www.graphitestore.com/item_images/normal/tube-o-lube.jpg[/img]

When I saw that the only thing I could think of was KY Jelly :shock:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#13 mrwhite

mrwhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

[quote name='slickj][quote=MrArsonal][img']http://www.graphitestore.com/item_images/normal/tube-o-lube.jpg[/img][/quote]

When I saw that the only thing I could think of was KY Jelly :shock:[/quote]

Thought I was the only one... :lol:

#14 bumpme

bumpme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

well this is aa sex forum now :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

#15 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:39 PM

The actual method is hitting the key with hammer while apply pressure on turning the key. When you hit the key from hammer the key push all the pins and pins move upwards, while they reach shear line your pressure on turning makes it rotate.