Some questions about file a bumpkey.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_domina_*

Guest_domina_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image

first of all, it is great that there is a board for bumping and that it is possible to make bumpkeys yourself :biggrin: .

my english is not the best, so i dont know the names of the keyparts, but i try.

I want to make a bump key but ive really no idea where the top of the "edges" must be (red horizontal lines) and how deep i must file, is the vertical red line right?

i must file 0,5 to 1 mm of the blue parts even at the cusp?

should i always use a vise when i file?

thanks alot, woohoo i make my bumpkey wooohooo :bow: :cool:

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:12 PM

Here is a picture that will give you a rough idea of what you're going for. You do not have to file the green part, although I generally do.

Posted Image

You only need to file the blue parts that you shaded if you want to use it for minimal movement. Otherwise, you can pull it out one click and have it work just fine.

You don't need to use a vise, but it can certainly help.

#3 Guest_domina_*

Guest_domina_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:51 AM

is it importent that the edges (what is the right word for this?) are at the exactly right position or can they be +-0,5mm otherwhere?

ive heard about a technique that you put the key in the lock, pull it out one pin and hit the side of the key with a skrewdriver for example. so you have a smal line where the end of the edge must be, same way for all the other pins. is this a good technique, does it work?

iam afraid, that i file the key and lose the orientation where the edgese must be...when i look at a key, i couldnt say where the pins hit the key.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Sent you a PM.

#5 Guest_domina_*

Guest_domina_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:17 PM

i filed my first key, but it didnt work. mhh what could i do.

i uploaded some pictures (i hate my cam, it is rubish, all pictures are terrible, so i uploaded alot of pictures, may you could see something i one of them).

http://rapidshare.co...09/key.rar.html

is the key crap or can i rescue it?

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:19 PM

Go off of what theopratr posted. We've had success with both filing the green (of what he posted) and not.... it's really just personal preference.

I would suggest NOT filing the green first and then go back and hit it if you're having a hard time - it's always easier to file more than put some back.

As far as your keys... It looks like you might have to file the valleys a bit more... make them wider. Your key looks like this: \/ Where as it might would better if it looked like this \_/ It would give the pins a bit more room to sit there before they get bumped up.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#7 Psilocybe

Psilocybe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

@theopratr

I know that I know nothing about bumping compared to you, but it looks to me that where you put the blue shading in that pic is too low. Shouldn't the cuts only go as low as the top of the "groove" in the side of the key? If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know.

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

For many common locks, i.e. Kwikset and Schlage, this is certainly the case.

However, many other locks have grooves that fall either above or below where the lowest cut falls... recent keys that I've made that fall into that category include a lot of the less common Yale keys, as well as a bunch of the Russwins.

When in doubt as to what the "lowest cut" actually is, you can just look down the keyway and see where in the keyway the pins are actually resting... with a good bump key, your cuts should be just deep enough so that it's a fraction of a millimeter lower than where the pins are sitting without a key in the lock.

I think that this specific key is the same as one of the locks lacking keys that I have here, and I used that as a guide when drawing my picture. However, in the event that the blue shading is low, it should still work as the peaks are high enough to still clip the pins if the #3 cut on that key were to be the lowest depth.

#9 Guest_domina_*

Guest_domina_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

in my opinion the blue shape is to low for abus (german only) keys. i tried the key sometimes during the filing, but when i was so deep like the blue shapes, nothing happend in the lock. i could heard that no pin was set.

#10 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:07 PM

i filed my first key, but it didnt work. mhh what could i do.

i uploaded some pictures (i hate my cam, it is rubish, all pictures are terrible, so i uploaded alot of pictures, may you could see something i one of them).

http://rapidshare.co...09/key.rar.html

Filing key is the important step and always remember that all the valleys and gaps will be uniform and steeps will be of little curve. Filing tip and shoulder is also necessary if there is no gap inside the key-way so that while hitting with hammer, key go inside.