• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 QuackMasterDan

QuackMasterDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:11 PM

I just ordered the 5-key package from bumpkeys.us and it should be arriving soon. I am aware that a person should create duplicate keys and not use masters.

My question is: What is the best (most ignorant) place to create bump key duplicates, and is there any legal danger in attempting to obtain a duplicate?

Thanks.

#2 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:43 AM

Use the term original not master with regard to keys, unless the key is infact a MK. Dup. at hardware store? I would avoid the "most ignorant" keycutters, as they tend to make awful duplicates.

#3 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:23 AM

Find a little mom&pop type hardware store, or a True Value or Ace Hardware store. These are the places that still use quality key machines and blanks, and have some old guy who has been cutting keys since Jesus was a kid. The old guy cutting your keys won't have a clue what they are, but he might comment about never seeing anything like it before.

As far as the legal aspects of copying bumpkeys, who really cares? As long as the guy making your copies doesn't know what they are, he's not going to do anything.

When I got my 11 key set copied, I went to Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value and 2 local hardware stores to get all my copies made, and not one person had a clue what they were copying. If they did, they never said a word. Only one guy said he had never seen keys cut so deep, but it didn't go any further than that.

If anyone asks what they are for, just tell them you have no idea, your boss just told you to get these keys copied.

People are generally pretty ignorant these days, so don't worry about it.

#4 CaliforniaPI

CaliforniaPI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:42 PM

I am an Investigator and I put on security workshops for clients. When I talked with my guy at ACE he was fine with it.

#5 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Key will be duplicated from any good locksmith stores and keeping duplicates is always good for future.

#6 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

Find a little mom&pop type hardware store, or a True Value or Ace Hardware store. These are the places that still use quality key machines and blanks, and have some old guy who has been cutting keys since Jesus was a kid. The old guy cutting your keys won't have a clue what they are, but he might comment about never seeing anything like it before.

As far as the legal aspects of copying bumpkeys, who really cares? As long as the guy making your copies doesn't know what they are, he's not going to do anything.

When I got my 11 key set copied, I went to Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, True Value and 2 local hardware stores to get all my copies made, and not one person had a clue what they were copying. If they did, they never said a word. Only one guy said he had never seen keys cut so deep, but it didn't go any further than that.

If anyone asks what they are for, just tell them you have no idea, your boss just told you to get these keys copied.

People are generally pretty ignorant these days, so don't worry about it.

Well.. maybe not now.. As most people even kids already has an easy access to the internet even through their phone. They may have already read or heard about it unlike couple of years back.

#7 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

The thing is people need to be aware if owning a bumbkey is legal in their area not to mention duplicating bumpkey's before even trying to make a copy.

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:56 AM

I am an Investigator and I put on security workshops for clients. When I talked with my guy at ACE he was fine with it.

Well good to know, thanks for the heads up!!!