• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Foxcraft

Foxcraft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

Can anyone give Pros/Cons of using a Lock Pick set VS Bumping? Yesterday I found an old 16 lockpick set that I'd forgotten I'd had. I'm guessing that if one could get good at using a lock pick, you could open just about any lock?

I remember seeing an episode on Discovery TV "Repo Men" where a guy was able to open any car door with a lockpick set.

#2 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

i have a key-chain lock pick that has come in very useful over the years. But the whole bumping thing seems to be alot faster.

#3 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:46 AM

Bump keys faster than picking? Kwikset, Schlage (obverse keyways) 4 pin master padlocks should all pick rather quickly. Many faster than bumping, if you are a skilled picker. And picking (if done well) damages the lock less than bumping.

#4 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

Each lock can be unique....I have some locks (same brand) one picks quicker, the other one bumps quicker. Its best to become proficient in both techniques. Also, you can only bump a pin tumbler lock....other locks, i.e. wafer locks need to be picked or jiggled.
Bump on!!!!

#5 sambob

sambob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

I dont know that they have pros and cons necessarily. If you are looking at them from the point of view of a locksmith, Ive been told bumping perhaps could damage locks over time. But the only application I could see for 'pros and cons' of bumping v. picking, is in doing illegal things. And personally, I think thats a terrible application for these skills.. but whatever.

I think technically speaking though if a lock is bumpable,, then bumping should technically be faster than picking. Once the key is in the lock, you just apply tension, and give it a little hit. If your tension,, your key, and how you hit the key is correct, it will unlock instantly. I just cant imagine someone picking a lock faster than the split second it takes for a bump key to unlock a door. I know theres guys that can pick locks SUPER fast, but still, are you really faster than just hitting a key with a screwdriver handle? :P

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 08:39 PM

A very simple pick set, used with some skill, can open the vast majority of locks, regardless of manufacturer, keyway or lock type. (Excepting, of course, a few of the higher security versions.) As Chucklz mentions, the speed is comparable, if not faster, than bumping if you are competent and the lock isn't keyed in a way as to making picking difficult.

Bumping is easier to master, and it can pop open locks that are keyed in an inconvenient fashion in a fraction of the time that it may take to pick it. And while a decent set of bump keys (the eleven key set, for example) will open the vast majority of doors, if you don't have a key for the lock, you're stuck.

Additionally, there is that pesky damage factor... but there's really no reason that you would need to bump any lock, in practice, more than once or twice. Thus, no damage would result from bumping assuming that your keys are good and you're well practiced. (Not using your 4 pound sledge as a bump hammer, etc.)

So it's really a trade off between unlimited access and convenience. Personally, I would never leave my house without my pick set, although I usually have the most common bump keys on my key chain. The rest of my "working" bump keys stay in the tool box, and which tool I use first generally depends on the application.

#7 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

Picking and bumping use different technique to open locks in bumping all pins are forced to touch shear line while in picking you need to make pins go up one by one.

Chris

#8 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

It depends on the situation of course but to me I believe that bumping is much more advanced, effective and fast in most situations.

#9 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

bumping is way faster but lock picking is more like "universal" because with enough lock picking skills there will be a wide range of different types of locks that you can pick...but when it comes to being "not so suspicious", I prefer bumping because and won't make you look like a burglar in front of your neighbors...

#10 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Well, lock picking skills can make you a hero among your friends though they might call you mind freak in the future, as i have one friend who is very good at it but he gave it too much of his time 

#11 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:15 PM

Well, lock picking skills can make you a hero among your friends though they might call you mind freak in the future, as i have one friend who is very good at it but he gave it too much of his time 

Probably, for him/her it is just a hobby which he didn't realize it's already taking too much of his time because he enjoys doing it.   

#12 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

bumping is way faster but lock picking is more like "universal" because with enough lock picking skills there will be a wide range of different types of locks that you can pick...but when it comes to being "not so suspicious", I prefer bumping because and won't make you look like a burglar in front of your neighbors...

I agree with you.

#13 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

If you are also in a hurry then bumping would also come in handy...you won't also need to carry many tools..just one bump key would be enough...

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Probably, for him/her it is just a hobby which he didn't realize it's already taking too much of his time because he enjoys doing it.   

yes, lets call it that way, a good hobby indeed tongue.png

#15 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:45 PM

yes, lets call it that way, a good hobby indeed tongue.png

lols... as long as he's bumping his own door lock then it's a good hobby :-)

#16 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

haha...but anyways why would you keep on bumping your door lock???unless you lost your original key...

#17 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:38 PM

haha...but anyways why would you keep on bumping your door lock???unless you lost your original key...

Well, my friend you will see all the odd happenings around this world, some people feel so accomplished when they do tasks what others rarely know about then its the human nature to gather all the golden stones in one basket, "Hey this lock is new, lets bump it or you bet I will bump your home's front door in 10 second", then it continues,,,smile.png

#18 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

lol..I agree..  Unless you're a locksmith and you do that for a living. ;-)

#19 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

Well, my friend you will see all the odd happenings around this world, some people feel so accomplished when they do tasks what others rarely know about then its the human nature to gather all the golden stones in one basket, "Hey this lock is new, lets bump it or you bet I will bump your home's front door in 10 second", then it continues,,,smile.png

good point... :)

#20 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

good point... smile.png

Now you got it wink.png