15 replies to this topic

#1 Method

Method

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

hey, i got a quick question.
If I needed a key for opening a lock but... lets say I could only have the key for a limited ammount of time... like 5 seconds, could i just use playdough or clay to make a blueprint of the key, or any other way (you name it). Then go to a locksmith and ask him to make the key for me. I mean, would he do it?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

There are several ways you could do it, but given the fact that you can only get your hands on the key for such a limited amount of time, it sounds like whoever owns the key isn't savvy to your copying it. I'm not passing judgement, but if you get caught, my good buddy Tyrone isn't the friendliest chap over several months/years. (He is known to most by the name "King Size".) Most locksmiths would probably not make the key for you, because if they do they are also liable to criminal prosecution for aiding in the keys unauthorized duplication.

That being said, you can do anything from a clay impression to tracing to an ultraviolet exposure of the key on UV sensitive paper. I've done them all, and it seems the more complex they are, the better they work, as you get more reliable details off of the key. Ivory soap also works in a pinch for impressioning. I used to key a nice sized slice of it in an old cigarette case in my tool box for making impressions of keys for which I didn't have a blank immediately available. Tracing doesn't work very well, but in a pinch you can do it by carefully measuring the difference in maximum depths traced and figuring out the spacing seperately.
  • TanVanMan likes this

#3 Method

Method

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

haha, tnx for the info.
I may be able to copy it with a file and a blank key probably, could be easy if i can just fit the key in a bit of clay where i got the print.
Can i just buy blank keys at locksmiths?

#4 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:09 AM

haha, tnx for the info.

I may be able to copy it with a file and a blank key probably, could be easy if i can just fit the key in a bit of clay where i got the print.

Can i just buy blank keys at locksmiths?

Yeah you can buy blank at your local locksmith store as I also purchased few recently.

#5 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

There are many ways some of which are mentioned about but I believe this is to be risky because if anything happens you would be the one suspected and this can lead to many troubles.

#6 xcaliber

xcaliber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Are locksmiths required to report you if you bring a clay print?

#7 Giovanni

Giovanni

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I don't think so. I'm not familiar with any law or city ordinance anywhere requiring locksmiths to report anyone they see with a clay print. For all I know they themselves are selling clay prints! I guess they don't really care what you'll do with it because they know when you return, you'll have something for them to make.

#8 Locks+Picks_Happy

Locks+Picks_Happy

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

This sounds so shady.  Are there any moderators on this site?  Or is this stuff ok to talk about here?

#9 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:34 AM

hey, i got a quick question.
If I needed a key for opening a lock but... lets say I could only have the key for a limited ammount of time... like 5 seconds, could i just use playdough or clay to make a blueprint of the key, or any other way (you name it). Then go to a locksmith and ask him to make the key for me. I mean, would he do it?

I got the same question out of curiosity. Coz I was suspecting someone might have copied my key coz i keep loosing things while my door is still locked and has no sign of forced entry. :-(  

#10 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:36 AM

There are several ways you could do it, but given the fact that you can only get your hands on the key for such a limited amount of time, it sounds like whoever owns the key isn't savvy to your copying it. I'm not passing judgement, but if you get caught, my good buddy Tyrone isn't the friendliest chap over several months/years. (He is known to most by the name "King Size".) Most locksmiths would probably not make the key for you, because if they do they are also liable to criminal prosecution for aiding in the keys unauthorized duplication.

That being said, you can do anything from a clay impression to tracing to an ultraviolet exposure of the key on UV sensitive paper. I've done them all, and it seems the more complex they are, the better they work, as you get more reliable details off of the key. Ivory soap also works in a pinch for impressioning. I used to key a nice sized slice of it in an old cigarette case in my tool box for making impressions of keys for which I didn't have a blank immediately available. Tracing doesn't work very well, but in a pinch you can do it by carefully measuring the difference in maximum depths traced and figuring out the spacing seperately.

This is very informative. Thank you for sharing

#11 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

I got the same question out of curiosity. Coz I was suspecting someone might have copied my key coz i keep loosing things while my door is still locked and has no sign of forced entry. :-(  

Well, you should be careful about your belongings, when we speak that bumping has become a lot more easier these days so indirectly that means your security is vulnerable and you should be careful

#12 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:32 AM

Well, you should be careful about your belongings, when we speak that bumping has become a lot more easier these days so indirectly that means your security is vulnerable and you should be careful

Right, I agree. When I haven't heard of key bumping yet I used to switch pad locks from time to time. Then I heard about bump keys and learned that it was no use :-( 

#13 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

I don't think so. I'm not familiar with any law or city ordinance anywhere requiring locksmiths to report anyone they see with a clay print. For all I know they themselves are selling clay prints! I guess they don't really care what you'll do with it because they know when you return, you'll have something for them to make.

Right. And the locksmith would probably just do his job then wouldn't care how you are going to use it...it's just like buying a gun from a gun shop but the seller wouldn't know if you will use it for hunting animals or for committing a crime...

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:43 PM

Right, I agree. When I haven't heard of key bumping yet I used to switch pad locks from time to time. Then I heard about bump keys and learned that it was no use :-( 

Hmmmm, I think people must have an additional security system other than just having door locks and padlocks

#15 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hmmmm, I think people must have an additional security system other than just having door locks and padlocks

Right.. I agree

#16 wasteddaze

wasteddaze

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

Lets face it if someone wants to get in your house bad.enough they will. I knew a guy that talked at the bar how he had great locks and had alarms on all windows and doors in his house so it wasnt possible to break in and steal his coin collection. The thief that ripped him off didnt go through a door or window they took a cordless saw out of his shed and cut a new door out in the back wall of his house. I guess the lesson here is keep your house and your shed secure and your mouth shut about what you own. The thief got caught trying to pawn the coins. The victim was in courtroom to see who the thief was at arraignment. I heard the thief never made it to trial apparently the victim cared more about coins than he did about the pos that stole them. No one knows what happen to the thief, well one person does and god.