• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

I'm an official CA locksmith...bumping will be a tool I use....now I can legally carry all my bump keys and picks :biggrin: . This week I'll be calling the Yellow pages about ads. I plan on mainly focusing on lockouts...its what I enjoy most and its the most $$$$$$$ :cool: . If anyone needs info on the licensing process, I'd be happy to help! So Bump on!!!!!
Bump on!!!!

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Congrats! I will say that it is really cool to get paid for doing something that you like to do and would probably do for kicks, but now you can charge out the whaaaazzzzooooooo for your skills. I just made $280.00 this morning at 2 houses and am not through for the day.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:34 AM

Congratulations on your hard work... I'm sure the testing and/or paperwork was nasty for that. Enjoy your new found power, and use it to your financial advantage!

A funny side note: in the Great State of Rhode Island, there is no such thing as a locksmithing license.

#4 PhreeX

PhreeX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

Ok, I have few questionsfor you if you don't mind...

1) How do you get started? I can pick most locks (with picks) nd of course bump, but I really am not that skilledwith things like taking the internals apart, rekeying, mastering locks to a key, etc.... how do you learn this?

2) Do you take ome typeof test to deponstrate the technical know-how or is it basically just registering?

3) What type of background check do they do? Do they do one? I made a stupid mistakewhen I was 19 (I am 26 now) ... got caught with a tiny, personal use amount of drugs and some other lesser stuff ... did probation and was even let off early after I filed a Motion for Early Termination of Probation PRO SE and I even had letters from all the probation officers I had seen overthe years saying I was a great kid, never a slip up ... adjudication was witheald on ALL COUNTS so legally I am NOT a convicted fellon.

4) How long did it take you?

5) What was the cost?

I am in Florida and will research it but wanted to hear your thoughts...

//p
!

#5 ly333

ly333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

sweet ca locksmith congrats...

#6 ly333

ly333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

was it hard to become ca locksmith?

#7 ly333

ly333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:41 AM

wow how u make 280$$$$$ just for 2 houses?
omg i want to do wat u do....lol

#8 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the congrats...I'm happy to have my license, but now the inconvenient reality:

In CA they don't test your abilities....its all about paperwork, fees and background checks. All the forms can be downloaded from the Bureau of Investigative services.

1. Fill out forms + 75.00
2. Get fingerprinted @ 80.00
3. Fictitious business name w/ county @ 25.00
4. 4 wk publication re: bus name + 65.00
5. passport photos for state application @ 15.00
6. city bus lic. + 75.00
7. Estimated city tax for the up coming year paid quarterly @ ?
8. Fed IRS wants estimated quarterly taxes @ ?
9. CA wants estimated quarterly taxes @ ?

They don't care if you can open a lock or even if you know what a key is...all they want to know is, are you a thief? and how much money they can shake you down for.

The biggest expense will be a yellow pages ad with a non-telephone company phone book...those crooks will get anywhere from 1200.00 to 5000.00 from me for a small crappy ad. The big ads cost 8000.00 to 20,000.00 a year. The AT&T book costs twice as much as the prices I just quoted. AT&T charges up to 40,000.00 a year for a full page ad :eek: . That is not a typo! That's FORTY-THOUSAND DOLLARS :eek: . Locksmith's live and die by the yellow pages....that's where people look when they are locked out...those bastards have us by the BALLS, and they know it. I've decided to do only lockouts...lock picking labor is NON-TAXABLE in CA, which means I am exempt from paying Quarterly City, Federal, and State tax. There is no exchange of a tangible item. Each state is different, so check the city, county and state laws where you live. What a wonderful country we live in...It is so hard to start a business!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a sole-propriatorship with no employees....if you have employees forget it :brickwall: !!!
You have to pay employee taxes, workmans comp + god knows what!! The system is set up so you have to work for the MAN. We are not FREE in this country...there are so many road blocks to starting a business its unbelievable....sorry for my rant, I'm just pissed about the situation.

Then all the taxes we pay are being sent to fund an illegal war in Iraq...lovely :brickwall: .
Bump on!!!!

#9 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

I remember once my fried asked about that license and I have no clue at that time. With your above details I can pass him the relevant information. Thanks for sharing.
Sandy