• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bumper183

bumper183

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 01:52 PM

I needed a storage locker, so i went to u-haul and they made me buy one of their locks to use. This post is more to find out what kind of a key is used for the lock, rather than making a bump key (though i might make one eventually). The locks model number is uhaul#02870 (you can find it with google) they keyway is very similar to a Y1 key, it has five pins, but is skinnier and also shorter from the shoulder to the tip. If anyone could help me out on this, cause the guy at lowe's couldn't, i woul really appreciate it. I'll try to get some pictures up later.

thanks.

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

uhaul#02870

Looks like an M1 key to me.

Attached Files

Bump it to the next level.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:02 PM

He said 5 pins though :confused:

Might be an M10 if it's a 5 pin (if it's even a master, that is)

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:41 AM

He said 5 pins though :confused:

Might be an M10 if it's a 5 pin (if it's even a master, that is)

http://store.uhaul.c...tail.aspx?id=63 uhaul#02870 looks like a 4 pin M1 on UHaul's website. Of course I have not gone to a UHaul and looked at one in person. I am just going from the picture on there website that I found by using google and uhaul#02870 from the first post in this thread. Looking at the shape of the bow on the key in the picture (with my reading glasses on) it sure looks like an M1 with 4 cuts. I can not imagine that they would have more than 1 product with the same part number.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Some pics of the keys would help. Preferrably both sides and an end shot so we can see the shape of the keyway.

Taking clear closeup pics of anything is difficult without professional camera gear, but I've found a large magnifying glass, like those found in some swing-arm lamps placed between the key and digital camera really helps. Also plenty of ambient light and no flash usually helps.
  • BLK likes this

#6 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:43 AM

Considering this is a knockoff of the ABUS Diskus lock, how about that keyway...

#7 plattq45

plattq45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

Hello everyone, first time posting here but been lurking and reading here alot.

I came across this thread and think it was interesting and see that the u-haul
lock is quite popular and so after work one day i went to u-haul and bought the lock, after that went to the local key shop and bought me 2 Axxess #61 and did some filing.

Result: i was able to bump the lock 3 time successfuly open it. Im pretty sure someone here can make one that can bump the lock almost everytime or even better than what i did. If someone made one already and it works good can you post a picture so i can see what i did wrong.

here are the 2 keys:
both keys was broken once i was done.

Attached Files

#8 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:50 AM

looks to me to be the same thing as the master lock No.40
Posted Image

if it is then it will bump with an M1 bumpkey.
i have a No.40 and it works with the M1 key

#9 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

I love bumping master locks, but I had no idea the M1 was so versitile. Recently I've been caught up with the m12, this discus lock looks very difficult though.

#10 plattq45

plattq45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:28 PM

the original m1 won't fit into the u-haul discus lock.

#11 chorbats

chorbats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

i had a friend give me one that he had lost the key. Surprisingly an IN 3 will bump the lock. It must have a 5 pin cut though. The key way fits perfectly hope this will help you out I know this is an old post

#12 Discusthrower

Discusthrower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

Hey all, new to this and needing to get into my storage space. I have a vice, file, a key which fits another lock for reference, and correct blank (Axxess #61). What would the correct spacing be? All the other bump keys I see appear to have equidistant spacing on the mountains and valleys, but my reference key has odd valleys that make this look more like a 4-pin, given equivalent spacing. Anyone know what would work? Should I ignore the reference, and just cut the first chamfer down at a 45 degree and space evenly back to the shoulder for four more?
Also, what is the "IN 3?"
Thanks in advance

#13 Discusthrower

Discusthrower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:47 PM

Disregard the above, I bought some more versions of this lock and determined spacing. I'll try leaving the last pin peak high, as plattq45 did. These locks might be harder to bump due to them being circular - hard to stop the whole lock from spinning when you apply torque to the key.

#14 Discusthrower

Discusthrower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

I made 5 different bump keys with slightly different cut spacing, also later tried the tip/shoulder filing minimal bump method... I have 3 of these locks to test out, and after five days of work, I only got one successful bump on one lock (of course, not the one I needed to bump). Just enough success to keep me suckered along on the road of diminishing returns. It is five pins, and I'm sure there's at least one mushroom/spool/serrated pin in there after my time spent.
Guys over at lockpicking forums are fairly down on picking this one as well, it being "the one that got away" for many experienced pickers.

Called local locksmith and he said he has only successfully picked one of them once. Said the only way to gain access was to drill out the cylinder. For anyone considering trying to work this lock, I just thought I'd leave that nail in the coffin of this thread. :brickwall: