• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pokemon

pokemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

For filing BEST brand locks is there a schematic somewhere on the internet that we could use to do the filing on blanks? Not sure exactly were to start filing on them. Also links to generic guide to filing would be appreciated. We have both blanks and originals for the lock.

Does anyone have experience with trying to bump BEST locks? Any warnings or issues? Are they harder to bump than other locks?

One issue is that the blanks we have are for BEST D type key and our originals for the lock say G. Are they interchangeable? Or will we need to find blanks of G types? And if so is there anyone on the net that sells bump keys for G type BEST locks?

Thanks for your help :). Sorry for all the questions.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

pokemon,

Welcome!

First and foremost I'll tell you that bumping BEST locks will, most likely, cause you some head aches. This will be the generic answer you'll get, no doubt. If you haven't bumped any lock before, it's been the general consensus of this forum to head to the hardware store and grab a cheap Kwikset lock and practice on that. While bumping BEST locks are hard, it's also quite easy to actually damage the lock. :eek:

Second, use the search feature on this forum as pretty much every question you asked can be found by searching. My search terms: 'interchangeable' and 'best*' (no '' of course, two different searches). Make sure you have the 'search entire posts' selected.

And your last question, I can't think of anyone that offers this type of BEST key. :frown:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:24 PM

For filing BEST brand locks is there a schematic somewhere on the internet that we could use to do the filing on blanks? Not sure exactly were to start filing on them. Also links to generic guide to filing would be appreciated. We have both blanks and originals for the lock.

Does anyone have experience with trying to bump BEST locks? Any warnings or issues? Are they harder to bump than other locks?

One issue is that the blanks we have are for BEST D type key and our originals for the lock say G. Are they interchangeable? Or will we need to find blanks of G types? And if so is there anyone on the net that sells bump keys for G type BEST locks?

Thanks for your help :). Sorry for all the questions.

For any keyway, you can find where to file by comparing your blank to the original key. Where so ever the pins sit on the key, file there. File the key down to just below the natural resting point of the pins... if you're having trouble with that one, look into the lock.

Your keys are absolutely different. BEST has 18 common keyways, none of which are interchangeable. If your lock is a G, you need G blanks. Any locksmith should have them.

I'd like to elaborate on what slick said about bumping BEST locks. I'll start by saying that it is possible. That being said...

BEST uses a slightly different system than most other locks. Most of the time, when you put a key into a lock, be it a Kwikset, Schlage, Arrow or whatever, the key is stopped by the shoulder coming into contact with the exterior of the lock. Thus, when you bump these locks, the key is forced in and whacks the exterior of the lock. The result is some minor cosmetic damage. BEST doesn't have a shoulder on their keys - the key is aligned in the lock by the tip of the key coming into contact with a plate. You try to bump this lock, give it more than a tap, and end up completely fouling up any chance of the lock opening again. To add insult to injury, you generally have six or seven pins to worry about, making it more difficult, plus perhaps a security pin or too, plus two shear lines.

The bottom line here is if you're not a seasoned bumper that can think really hard and have a BEST key fall out of the tree you're sitting under, there's no way you're going to do anything more than absolutely destroy the lock.

This more or less explains why you generally can't find BEST bump key. A bunch of the low quality sites peddle the BE2, and I bought one. I've bumped a few BESTs before, and I wanted to see how their key performed. It turns out the key was a real value... I get my money back day after day as I use that BE2 bump key to scratch my a$$. I broke one lock, fouled up a second, and gave up on the third. Using flea-bay keys or bump keys from discount retailers is like trying to start a fire with two rocks and a pile of wet twigs. Sure, in theory, it could work... but why not buy a lighter and half a gallon of gasoline for a dollar more?

#4 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:17 PM

I wish I could find Best padlocks in stores these days. Not really for bumping practice but just because they are excellent locks. Difficult to bump, and they destroy bolt cutters. I don't know about picking them, never tried the one I have, but judging from the key, it looks very difficult.

Too bad they don't make household doorknobs and deadbolts too. Those would be sweet. Their commercial hardware is nice.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

I have seen some BEST padlocks on and off on flea bay.

As for picking, new BEST locks are difficult, but if they're the least bit worn, they pick like a dream. It's one of those situations where having more pins is actually beneficial. Once you get the stiffest pin to bind, the rest follow without any problem.

#6 nimx

nimx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:27 AM

I'm sorry for my ignorance...but how is bumping one key harder/easier than another key? Shouldn't they all be the same? the only variable is the tension put on the key and in theory, it all varies between all locks anyways right?
What can you do to improve your bumping skills?

#7 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:12 AM

I'm sorry for my ignorance...but how is bumping one key harder/easier than another key? Shouldn't they all be the same? the only variable is the tension put on the key and in theory, it all varies between all locks anyways right?
What can you do to improve your bumping skills?

The KEY WORDS here are "in theory". On paper, you are correct. In the real world, though, there is Murphy's Law which is in full effect, kinda like gravity. The differences between 2 locks, of the same brand, with the same keyway, bought from the same store, on the same day, at the same time, even with the same pinning, can be mind boggling to the picker or bumper. It is the nature of the lock beast. Most common locks are not held to a tight enough QC spec to get the "Shouldn't they all be the same?" result that "in theory" should be there in reality.

Now add to the mix different manufacturers of the same keyway and you can see the vast difference in, say, a variety of locks from different manufactures with the same keyway that can all be pinned to the same key. Every one of them will be different to pick or bump because of the inheirant differences of the various manufacturers and the sloppy QC of the individual locks.

They are all the same: same keyway, same pins, same key opens them. BUT, they are all different in how they react to manipulation whether it is picking or bumping.

Theory is great, but the main thing is how locks perform in the real world.

The specific lock you asked about has its own set of issues that make it a pain in the fingers to bump. Do a search for BEST and you will find that information on this Forum.

The answer to your last question is: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Good luck with your bumping. And be careful not to bust the back of the keyway out of your BEST.
Bump it to the next level.

#8 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:54 AM

As far as my experience Best locks are difficult to bump than ordinary locks so we need to practice on simple locks first.
Sandy