• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 johntuan

johntuan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

What key is commonly used to bump the locks on door knobs. Looks like this except brass/or commonly gold.

Posted Image

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Use the one that fits in the lock and that has enough cuts on it to do the job.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 johntuan

johntuan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Use the one that fits in the lock and that has enough cuts on it to do the job.

ive tried using one that fits in the lock but the key just falls in. I suppose it may be a 6 pin then. Since im using a kw1

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:33 PM

Post a picture of the original key and/or the lock in question. If that is not possible, describe the original key... Kwiksets could get into other keyways, so if it really "falls in", then you may be dealing with the wrong key.

#5 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

This can be done by using any key which fits inside the lock and also you should have good knowledge about the pins and the key-way.
Sandy

#6 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

I think it is good to search on the internet about how certain kind of locks looks like from the inside. That way you'll be able to understand and know what kind of bump key to use aside from any bump key that fits in.

#7 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

It will be more difficult though if you will use a different key although same size because the valleys of the key are also limited that means it most likely that some pins won't be pushed inside...That is why it would be better to use a bump key if you will not use the original key...

#8 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

It will be more difficult though if you will use a different key although same size because the valleys of the key are also limited that means it most likely that some pins won't be pushed inside...That is why it would be better to use a bump key if you will not use the original key...

So that means when a key fits in the lock it doesn't necessarily means that it can be made into a bump key? I was thinking that as long the key fits into the lock, it can be use to make a bump key.

#9 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:06 AM

So that means when a key fits in the lock it doesn't necessarily means that it can be made into a bump key? I was thinking that as long the key fits into the lock, it can be use to make a bump key.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be better to use a bump key than using a key which is not the original key even if it would also fit... :)

It's like bump key VS normal key( which is not the original key but same size)...hehe

#10 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

As long as the key that is fitting in your lock perfectly and has the valleys that can push all the pins inside the small inner cylinder, you can use it irrespective of it is a bump key or not, but in reality you don't come by such lucky days all the time, so it's preferable to use a bump key instead of spending hours on a regular key for unlocking the lock 

#11 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

As long as the key that is fitting in your lock perfectly and has the valleys that can push all the pins inside the small inner cylinder, you can use it irrespective of it is a bump key or not, but in reality you don't come by such lucky days all the time, so it's preferable to use a bump key instead of spending hours on a regular key for unlocking the lock 

Right.. I agree with that too. And even if there's no bump key available somewhere near and you got locked out, I still would prefer to finding one than making one as it will probably spend much more time making them.

#12 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:26 AM

having the valleys that can push the pins inside is what I think is the most important part in unlocking a lock..

#13 lillylockpicker

lillylockpicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNew York, New York

Posted 28 December 2015 - 05:30 AM

having the valleys that can push the pins inside is what I think is the most important part in unlocking a lock..

After all that is the purpose in picking a lock right?

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:45 AM

After all that is the purpose in picking a lock right?

Yes, it is, you have to explot the basic mechanism of locks and thats all about dodging the pins , push them one by one