• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 grizzly128

grizzly128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

Just received new 11 key bump key set from "Bumpkey". Identified which key is which etc from display on Bumpkeys websight. Questions: the kw1 key, does it fit only Kwikset? I have other 5 pin dead bolt locks that the kw1 key slides (easily) into, are these possibly kwikset locks sold under a different name, one of them is TruBolt, the other one has no name. I bought these cheap locks from Menard's some time back to play with picking.
From looking at a lock, how do you identify what brand name it is and which key to use if the brand name is not displayed?
Lotsa question, lotsa learning....just got started, successfully bumped my practice kwikset 5 pin 3 times so far out of about 30 trys...haven't tried any thing else. Appreciate any advice/help. Am reading all I can read on this forum...lotsa fun...thanx

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Use the SEARCH function and you can find just about every thing you asked about on this forum.

Typically, if the key fits in the lock you can use that key to bump that lock unless you put a 5 cut key into a 6 pin lock (that won't get you anywhere.) There are many knock offs of the KW1 key way and your shiny, new KW1 bump key will open most of them.

Do make copies of the originals and only use the copies to practice with so if you break or damage a key it is not an original.

Best of luck with the bumping!
Bump it to the next level.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:28 PM

A key fitting into a lock does not guarantee that the key in question will bump that lock. The spacing for the key in question must the same as the key that was meant for that lock.

This being said, there are a wide variety of equivalencies around... but they often only work in one direction. A Dexter key will bump a Kwikset lock, as the spacing is the same, but a Kwikset key will not fit into a Dexter lock. And as it has already been mentioned, you need a key of sufficient length for the particular application - too few pins won't work, but too many often will. For example, a 6 pin Dexter (DE8, I believe) will bump open 5 and 6 pin Dexters, and also 5 and 6 pin Kwiksets.

Sometimes even when the spacing is right, the key won't work... for example, a Weslock WK2 will fit into a Kwikset, but it is cut so much lower that the peaks don't even make contact with the pins in the lock. Conversely, the lowest depth for one lock may be far too high for another.

It should also be noted that when one mentions a "Kwikset" lock, they're generally referring to any lock that utilizes the common Kwikset-style keyway, associated with the KW1 and KW10 keys. Thus, the actual name on the lock can be absolutely anything - some common ones are Defiant, Mag, Faultless, etc.

Given what the majority of the users here think of Kwikset locks, I would say that it's an appropriate assumption to make that if a manufacturer doesn't put their name on a lock, it's probably a Kwikset clone! :wink:

#4 grizzly128

grizzly128

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:45 PM

The first 2 posts, BLK & Theo, answered many of my questions. With that and exploring other threads I'm starting to get the gist, now if I could get the tension and striking force...lol

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

now if I could get the tension and striking force...lol

Grasshopper, you rlearn quickry.

Good luck with the bumping!
Bump it to the next level.

#6 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:27 PM

Typically, if the key fits in the lock you can use that key to bump that lock unless you put a 5 cut key into a 6 pin lock (that won't get you anywhere.)

This is incorrect. A 5 pin key cut for the minimal motion method will bump both 5 and 6 pin locks.

#7 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:32 PM

Typically, if the key fits in the lock you can use that key to bump that lock unless you put a 5 cut key into a 6 pin lock (that won't get you anywhere.)

This is incorrect. A 5 pin key cut for the minimal motion method will bump both 5 and 6 pin locks.

I agree with you, what you described is correct that to bump 5 and 6 pin locks with minimal movement method a 5 pin key cut will do the job.