• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bumper183

bumper183

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

so, i've bought my own set of keys, but i want to start making my keys. i bought a file thats works alright for regular size keys. does anyone have any advice on what kind of file to use for a master lock M1 key? its alot smaller, and my file makes the groves too wide.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

Use a triangular file, or a smaller flat file with coarse edges of about 1.5mm. With the triangular file, you can get the groove down to a point, and then expand it laterally by filing down the front and back faces of the peak with a flat file.

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

I use a pippin file, but I had to buy it for class or I probably would not have gotten one, $25-$50 each. BUT, I am glad to have it as it is the best type file to make and modify keys with, after all, it is a locksmith's file. Otherwise I would use a triangle file or small round file--the ones used to sharpen chain saws. Mark the spacing on your blank using an original key or better still use a copy of an original key since the spacing is already marked. File the higher cuts down to the depth of the lower cuts. Then, file a few passes on each cut starting on one end of the key and moving to the other end and back until you get to the depth you need. And, VIOLA! You made a bump key. Theopratr: Post the link to the picture you made of using a dremel tool to cut to depth, then file the rest out. I could not find that post.
Bump it to the next level.

#4 Schneider

Schneider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:36 AM

Use a triangular file, or a smaller flat file with coarse edges of about 1.5mm. With the triangular file, you can get the groove down to a point, and then expand it laterally by filing down the front and back faces of the peak with a flat file.

This is a perfect suggestion, as I always use triangular file and it makes the whole filing process easier and efficient.
Schneider
NYC Locksmith