• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 revdclark

revdclark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:37 PM

I finally (after lots of research) learned to bump a kwickset lock both pins up and pins down. There is lots of info about KW!. What about some of the other locks? Like Schlage (SC1). Do those also need to be modified to use the minimal movement method? What about Yale, Dexter, Master, etc? Maybe I've been taking the "short bus" and missing something? I assume they also need modification? (we all know what that word implys)

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

All the keys can be filed for miminal movement method or used as cut with the pull out method. Each lock has its own personality and must be approached as a new adventure.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

I finally (after lots of research) learned to bump a kwickset lock both pins up and pins down. There is lots of info about KW!. What about some of the other locks? Like Schlage (SC1). Do those also need to be modified to use the minimal movement method? What about Yale, Dexter, Master, etc? Maybe I've been taking the "short bus" and missing something? I assume they also need modification? (we all know what that word implys)

As BLK states, most locks can be defeated by either minimal movement, requiring the tip and shoulder to be filed, or by the pull out method, leaving the key unfiled.

The only thing you need to change to apply your Kwikset experience to other locks is learning to get a feel for the required tension, and adjusting the amount of force you use. For example, Schlage, in my experience, requires a touch more impact force but less tension, Yale requires very little tension and even less impact, etc.

BUT each lock is different, so experiment and see for yourself.

#4 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

Schlage factory plugs are brass, while Kwikset aren't. The Schlage plugs can be dented by bumping, so I wouldn't bump a lock that I use every day, or wanted to stay cosmetically pristine.

#5 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

All the keys can be filed for miminal movement method or used as cut with the pull out method. Each lock has its own personality and must be approached as a new adventure.

That's for sure, with the minimal movement methods you can get the desired results and yes each lock give you a new experience. so give them a try.