• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

:brickwall: I just tried to bump a Yale Deadbolt. It is mounted on an interior door. I had the door open with the bolt in the locked position. I could not get it to bump. I tried using two different Y1 bump keys.

I was able to get the plug to turn clockwise after using a pick gun on it. However I could not get the bolt to open. I thought I had picked it in the direction of locked so I used a plug spinner on it. However it would not spin past locked.

Now Iím wondering if I had picked it successfully but was not using sufficient torque to move the bolt. I could not get the plug to turn counter clockwise using the pick gun or bump keys.

This lock is less then four years old. :furious3:

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

Y1 is a 5 pin key. Is your lock a 5 pin?

Does the lock function with the original key? Sometimes the strike fails on locks of good quality.

Do you have the original key? Are any of the cuts on the original key as deep as the cuts on the bump key?

Plug spinners are fun that way, sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes it doesn't.

I have seen locks fail out of the box brand new. Maybe they were made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

If the original key works, then there was not enough torque. If the original key also fails, the lock is broke. If it picks, it should bump.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

Y1 is a 5 pin key. Is your lock a 5 pin?

Does the lock function with the original key? .

Do you have the original key?

Plug spinners are fun that way, sometimes it works on the first try, sometimes it doesn't.

Unfortunately I donít have a key for this lock. Next time I have access to this lock I will use a pick and count how many pins it has. Perhaps after getting the plug to turn clockwise I should use a screwdriver to see if I can then throw the bolt open.

I have had good luck using a plug spinner on many locks, however this one is tighter then a virgin.

If the lock is broken I have many more doors in this building with the same lock. The lock is also master keyed and I sometimes have access to the grand master.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

Unfortunately I donít have a key for this lock.

If the lock is broken I have many more doors in this building with the same lock. The lock is also master keyed and I sometimes have access to the grand master.

Rule #1--Do NOT bump locks that are not your own.
Rule #2--Do NOT bump locks that you depend on.

Any questions?
Bump it to the next level.

#5 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 03:18 PM

Rule #1--Do NOT bump locks that are not your own.
Rule #2--Do NOT bump locks that you depend on.

Any questions?

As to rule # 1, although I do not own the lock there is no problem with what Iím doing. As I said I sometimes have access to the grand master key. To make it clearer the grand master key is in my possession legally. And my lock bypass attempts are not covert, as it is known as to what Iím up too to the amusement of many.

As to rule # 2, these locks are hardly ever used and therefore not depended on. If they are ever used it is for privacy and locked from the inside when occupied and unlocked when vacated.

However when reading my original post I can see the reason for concern. However there is no problem with my actions here. Perhaps what I need to do is get and use the master key to see how the lock functions. These doors are never locked or unlocked with a key. But then that would take out a lot of fun solving this puzzle.

#6 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:51 AM

I also suggest you to never work or the lock which you don't owe. Always try on practice locks and they can be found on local locksmith stores.
Sandy

#7 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

I always review this man on youtube: 

true legend. 

#8 Dianatip

Dianatip

• Just Registered
  • Pip