• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:43 AM

I was in Home Depot and a Kwikset Deadbolt Door Lock with electric push buttons caught my eye. I was very intrigued by this lock on display. I pushed the combination printed on the display and the lock magically opened. I then pressed the lock button and it locked.

This lock also had a key access so when the battery or something stops working you still have access with a key. This got me thinking as to the security of this thing. Well I carry on my keyring a Southern Ordnance jackknife style pick set. Using a snake rake pick I was able to pick this thing in no time.

Based on how easy it was to pick I just know it would bump open in no time.

I find lock displays in stores irresistible not to play pick pick. One of theses days I'm going to get up the nerve and play bump bump with them too.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:09 AM

I find lock displays in stores irresistible not to play pick pick. One of theses days I'm going to get up the nerve and play bump bump with them too.

That's the best way I think I've ever heard anyone put it. I've done the pick pick thing a few times on the displays... I only wish I got to keep what I had just proven to be an ineffective security device! It's always funny when someone sees you too... although that's more or less just those unfortunate times when someone walks quietly.

In any case... anything that says "Kwikset" on it just translates into "Useless Scrap Metal", in terms of being a security device. But I know the push button type that you're referring to... I had fun with the same model in Home Depot... it makes a pleasing noise too. At least that one is a piece of useless scrap metal that is pleasant to behold, although I absolutely cringe thinking of the idiot who decided to couple batteries and a lock. Yeah, yeah, there's a key override... but if you have a keypad, you know that that key is getting left at home.

#3 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:21 AM

It's always funny when someone sees you too... although that's more or less just those unfortunate times when someone walks quietly.

I don't try and hide it as I'm not breaking into anything or damaging there shiny new lock. After all I'm just a customer checking out a lock. In fact I did get caught on this one by a customer and was asked if I was a locksmith. LOL!:angel:

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:28 AM

The smaller stores have never given me a problem with picking their displays; they're generally rather amused by it. The bigger stores tend to employ more ignorant people who don't really know the difference between fun, theft and sabotage. They don't know if lock picking is damaging, and they end up getting all fired up... the result being that at the larger stores, I try to keep it low profile.