Photo
- - - - -

If I purchase bumpkeys online, do I HAVE to file them first?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 midgetsanchez

midgetsanchez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

So, I'm considering giving bumping a shot. I'm ready to purchase from bumpkey.us, and am considering getting the 11-key set with a schlage SC20 "skeleton" key. My question is, after purchasing the keys, do I absolutely HAVE to file the shoulder/tips? Or can I just use them as-is using the pull-out method or something?

#2 midgetsanchez

midgetsanchez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:22 PM

Okay, nevermind, I searched through and found my answer on another thread. My only question is, which method is usually more successive? The pull-out method or the other way? Thanks.

#3 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:19 PM

In the begginning you may wan't to start with the pullout method where you keys are unmodified. The reason being, you can practice knowing you have good keys, if you start out with the minimal movement method and you file the keys incorrectly then there is the possibillity that your keys are faulty, and not your technique. If you are confident in how you filed your keys you can try the minimal movement method. They both work well, I started with the pull-out method, so i am more succesfull, and like it more, but others may disagree, because it is all preference.

#4 midgetsanchez

midgetsanchez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:03 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll try using the pull-out method first until I get it working, then i'll make a few copies of the keys and file them to try the other method.

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:36 AM

Alright, thanks. I'll try using the pull-out method first until I get it working, then i'll make a few copies of the keys and file them to try the other method.

Make a few copies FIRST, so if you bend/break/mutilate a key, it won't be an original.
Bump it to the next level.

#6 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:41 AM

According to me minimal movement method is best as I worked with that method always I don't have any idea about the other one.
Sandy