• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 metacoola

metacoola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hey guys, I saw a few videos on bumpkeys and decided to give it a whirl, so far ive tried making 3 different keys(didn't really put much tiime in them) and was wondering, do all keys have the same number of gaps or valleys, because i noticed that my kwikset only has 4 gaps and that seems odd to me since I always here that kwiksets are 77777. Also does it matter how high the teeth of the key are, or is it okay as long as it has a good slope.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

Just head to www.bumpkey.us - you'd be able to see exactly what a key looks like. http://www.bumpkey.u...5-Pin-p-29.html Pick the key that resembles the key you'd like to make. With kwikset keys you need to ensure that the peaks are low and the valleys are wide.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:47 AM

Also, with the Kwikset you have to make sure it is a 5 pin lock or a 6 pin lock. The 6 pin KW10 will work on either a 5 or 6 pin lock but the 5 pin KW1 will only work on a 5 pin lock.

The quality of the key does make a difference. Read the Thread on this forum titled "My Keys Don't Work" and any Thread with "Check My Keys" to see pictures of what does not work.

Looking at the pictures of the keys on BumpKey.us is a good benchmark to compare your home made key against as the keys at BumpKey.us are top quality and cut to the tightest standards.
Bump it to the next level.

#4 metacoola

metacoola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

Well the thing that confuses me, is my kwikset keys are all 4pins and thats what I use for my house. And I never hear anyone talking about a 7777.

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:36 AM

Well the thing that confuses me, is my kwikset keys are all 4pins and thats what I use for my house. And I never hear anyone talking about a 7777.

One possibility is that your locks actually have 5 pins but one of the pins is a #1 pin which would mean that the key would not have to be cut for that chamber. Have you actually taken your locks apart and confirmed that there are only 4 pins?

#6 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:27 AM

That is very unlikely. Im not even sure if a 4 pin kwikset house lock exists. Your 5th pin could be by the shoulder and you have not noticed it, or there is no cut nessacary as it as a 1 cut( at the very top), as BLK said. The best way to find out for sure tho is to take your lock apart and actually see the number of pins in there, as BLK suggested.
  • BLK likes this

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

One of the stores that I work for has all of their outside doors locked up with Schlage five pins that only appear to have four pins... as BLK suggested, the fifth pin is closest to the head of the key, and is a 1 cut, thus resulting in the key not being cut from the blank height at all.

#8 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, what BLK said.

#9 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

If you get to post before me, that's generally what I have to say.

#10 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:11 PM

If you get to post before me, that's generally what I have to say.

Likewise, I assure you.

#11 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

Again, if you don't want to take a part the lock just upload a picture of the key. use www.tinypic.com to upload and then link to it.

Shall I get you guys (BLK and theopratr) a room? Sniper101 and myself will flip the bill if you could just leave the kissing off this board.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.