• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

In working on my Bump Gun side project, I came up with a great idea that combines both of my favorite hobbies. I also work in a research lab, most of the work being medical, and occasionally we handle small quantities of radioactive material as a tracer or as a power source for a medical device, such as a pacemaker.

My problem was finding the proper power source for my bump gun... pull-to-cock is too slow, full auto results in a fire hazard and may damage the lock due to too much force; but even the semi-automatic version couldn't seem to pop the lock open much faster than regular bumping. So my experimentation was useless unless I carried around something akin to a Dremel tool that occasionally caught fire. Brilliant.

Until I learned that our pacemaker cases had changed in design, and the old plutonium-238 batteries wouldn't fit anymore. I asked my supervisor, who also happens to be one of my best friends, if I could grab one of the old batteries for experimentation. Plutonium-238 isn't really very dangerous... it can't be used to make nuclear weapons, it's really only useful in batteries. Plutonium is very poisonous, but the batteries are lacquered over so that none of it can escape.

The long and the short of my idea works like this: three master blanks, with their profiles shaven down to allow them to fit a large variety of keyways, all cut seven times to permit all varieties of locks to be bumped. The battery clips into the head of the key, and is connected to a positive Hg cathode and a ZnO anode, passing the resulting current through 850 turns of 28 gauge copper wire with gold connections. If arranged properly, this will connect well to a damped quartz crystal, causing the magnetic field to oscillate at close to 3,200 times a minute, or more than 50 changes in direction a second. There is a miniature circuit breaker of sorts that only allows the key to operate if the circuit is completed by a pin, inserted into the rear of the key. This was a safety to prevent the key from being on all the time, and reacting to any ferro-magnetic object by shaking violently when, for example, in your pocket or tool box.

The next step is pretty simple... one Neodymium/Iron/Boron magnetic, pulverized, in a poly-acrylate suspension, formed into a ring about 1/16th of an inch thick, two inches in outside diameter and 1.65 inches inside diameter, re-magnetized so that the B-> (magnetic field vector) is through the axis.

The result is a key that you can safely put into just about any lock, after applying the ring to the lock surface and putting the safety pin into the lock, and you just turn it. The key is moving so fast that it doesn't even go into the lock all the way... by the time it moves a fraction of a millimeter into the lock, it is suddenly reversed by the magnetic field, and vica versa. This way, the lock is bumped for a large portion of the time as the key is hitting each of the pins at least every one-twentieth of a second, with reasonable amounts of force!

The entire process took me about six hours, most of which was spent trying to figure out how to make the battery stay in the key while still being removable... not like the battery will die any time in the next 262 years. (88 year half life, three half lives will bring it down to 12.5 of charge, which is the threshold for my key no longer moving... and the battery is two years old.)

If anyone can find me some more of these batteries, I will fabricate you a set of keys free of charge. I need more batteries myself, as I have three keys made but only one battery to go around, and it's a pain in the *ss to keep prying the tiny battery out and sticking it into other keys when they don't fit.

For reference, the batteries are the 5.5 mm diameter round plutonium pancake batteries, they weight less than a gram and a half, just for reference. Anything bigger would create too much heat, smaller probably wouldn't work.

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Have you tried looking at Batteries-R-Us or Radio Shack or Walgreens?
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

Have you tried looking at Batteries-R-Us or Radio Shack or Walgreens?

^^^ LOL

I really didn't know how to respond; Perhaps call the FEDS for having a nuclear or to praise your invention.

I think I'll praise it. Any ideas (and you've had a few) that improve the success rate of bumping are always welcome! Keep up the good work.

My only question is where does someone like me go about getting a Nuke battery? :eek:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

In an April Fools sort of way, I'm sure we have some people from the former USSR lurking around here somewhere; I'm sure they could point us towards some plutonium... or plutonium batteries, if we had the cash up front.

#5 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:38 PM

Posted ImageBig Dick says, "The word plutonium has surely alerted homeland security to this site....so smile everybody :biggrin: ....we're coming for your bump keys!!!" :eek: BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! And we'll take your civil liberties too.....and your lock picks :mad: !!!!!!!!