5 replies to this topic

#1 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

does ANYONE use a dremmal to rough cut there bumps? I often do if I cant get to a wheel. Has NE1 tryed this method if so how are your results?
Bump It And You Will Enter

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:46 AM

I have heard of using a Dremel to cut keys. You would have to have really good control to not mess up your key. I guess you could rough cut the blank and finish the fine work with a file.

I have a Dremel that I use when modifying strike plates or door hardware when retrofitting a new piece. It beats filing for 2 hours when I can be done in 5 minutes with the Dremel.

I always use a file if I have to make a key by hand. Maybe I am just old school, but there is something very satisfying about making a key by hand with no electricity/batteries involved. BUT, once I have the first key is made I make copies on the key machine...too much of a good thing.........

I typically use a no. 2 cut pippin file.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:58 PM

I do an outline of the peaks pretty fast(compared to filing) it takes about 10min. at most for a whole key from scratch. then i take a reg. flat file turned sideways, the little side does the flat spots perfect. then i 45 all the peaks with the flat side of the file,wire wheel...done:) makes good keys. NOTHING compaired to factory made though!

#4 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:39 AM

10 minutes? If you put your key in a vise the proper way, with the valleys marked correctly, it should take you about 1-2 minutes total time to file a key correctly. There is an hour long video, i believe its called whatthebump.wmv that was produced at a TOOOL convention and they show you on that video how to line it up. The main guy vised, filed, and tested a bump key he made from a pre-cut in about 45 seconds total..

I do an outline of the peaks pretty fast(compared to filing) it takes about 10min. at most for a whole key from scratch. then i take a reg. flat file turned sideways, the little side does the flat spots perfect. then i 45 all the peaks with the flat side of the file,wire wheel...done:) makes good keys. NOTHING compaired to factory made though!

#5 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:51 PM

ok maby it feels like 10min. your right its probly faster than that. I dont know ill time it next time,although my key cutter takes 15sec. to line up and 30sec. to cut so...? just sayin

#6 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

I never used Dremmal but I heard by one of the locksmith that file will do the job more accurate as it take some extra time. I always used file instead of Dremmal and it always worked best for me.

Chris