• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:27 PM

Post a pic of your key for a proper diagnosis. If the key is filed down too much, there is the possibility that it is bumping some pins on the way it, but as it travels further into the lock, the peaks end up forced under the set pins, which could cause your lock some grief, and perhaps result in the kind of damage that you're talking about. Either way, a picture is worth quite a few words.

All of the big chains, I've found, use those terrible machines and absolutely horrific keys. I bought some Axxess blanks once, in my naivety, and the metallic finish was actually peeling off of the thing. Visit Mom & Pop who stock Ilco keys, and feel good about both your keys and supporting small business.

#22 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

All of the big chains, I've found, use those terrible machines and absolutely horrific keys. I bought some Axxess blanks once, in my naivety, and the metallic finish was actually peeling off of the thing. Visit Mom & Pop who stock Ilco keys, and feel good about both your keys and supporting small business.

Just another thought....The keys from these places are very tolerable for beginners who are going to beat the heck out of them until they learn that finese, not force will effect a bump. :rolleyes:

So why not beat the crap out of a crappy key?
Bump it to the next level.

#23 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

This is absolutely true... through thousands of blanks, I think I've become something of a key snob.

*Dips cigar in cognac and admires nickel-silver Ilco SC20 blank*

#24 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:42 PM

This is absolutely true... through thousands of blanks, I think I've become something of a key snob.

*Dips cigar in cognac and admires nickel-silver Ilco SC20 blank*

I have been admiring my nickel-silver Ilco SC20 bland too. I don't have any cigars, but I am sipping a nice Foster's.

And I think with enough time, we all become key snobs. :bighug:

#25 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

As it's been stated, pictures will help. If you're having troubles posting pictures, head to www.tinypic.com to upload.

Fosters? Australian Piss Water.
Heineken is the way to go!!

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#26 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:27 AM

Took my rim cylinder apart to find out why and where it was binding. Turns out that because I didn't remove the bottom shoulder of my KW1, it had deformed the brass around the bottom edge and shoved it up enough into the keyway to make for a tight turn. I had thought that I damaged some pins, but they are all fine, so my key is good enough after all. I am definitely a ham-fisted brute who needs to learn the feather touch.

While I had the lock apart, I noticed just how light and delicate the springs are, so I put it back together after fixing it, removed the bottom shoulder of my key and got back to bumping.

I'd like to report my first successful KW1 bumps using the pull-out 1 click method!! I got 6 bumps out of maybe 100 or so. What a feeling :D

I noticed that each time the lock gave, there was a distinct sound and feeling to it that I can't really describe, but I knew almost before the key turned that it was open, like instinct.

I'm feeling much better about this bumping thing now. lol

#27 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:35 AM

Fosters? Australian Piss Water.
Heineken is the way to go!!

Actually, Foster's is the answer to over population of kangaroos in Australia...the ultimate kangaroo killer!

Joe42: That makes perfect sense. And CONGRATS on the BUMPS!! "Ham fisted brute" is pretty strong language, but it is funny. I think we all, being Americans, feel like "if a tap doesn't quiet get it, then a good hard whack should do the trick." As you now know that is not true.

The key should have worked using the pull out method without modifying the key. Only the minimal movement method requires modification.

Now the only problem you will have is not becoming addicted to bumping. At least you do not have to worry about growing hair on your palms or going blind. :eek:

#28 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:07 PM

anywhere in the keyway may be scratched and leave a burr, thus rubbing the whole time you turn the key.This will probly wear off with time but may cause more scratches or dust in the lock/keyway....not good:(
Bump It And You Will Enter

#29 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:23 PM

The key should have worked using the pull out method without modifying the key. Only the minimal movement method requires modification.

Now the only problem you will have is not becoming addicted to bumping. At least you do not have to worry about growing hair on your palms or going blind. :eek:

I started out trying minimal movement and switched to pull out, so that's why my key is modified. As for getting addicted, yes I've heard the persistent call of the lock for a few years now.