• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:06 PM

Well I managed to open my first lock using the bumping method and the sc20 key opened the same lock 6 times, I felt pretty good. but I guess I must have been giving it too much pressure as the key is totally useless now, Just ordered another 5 keys but is there anything I can do to have the key last longer, any tips would be greatly appreciated.................drummond

#2 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

Try using less turning torque and also not hitting the key as hard. Then see if you get successful results. But in the end when you think about it the key and lock are being abused and both are subject to total destruction. Itís just a matter of time. Buy more original keys, as they are best. Donít use locks that are needed for there locking ability!

#3 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

i dont know if there are that many steel keys but you could temper one like you do picks so it might work

#4 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. What are the SC20 keys that I bought from bumpkey here made of................drummond

#5 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:00 AM

Try using less turning torque and also not hitting the key as hard. Then see if you get successful results. But in the end when you think about it the key and lock are being abused and both are subject to total destruction. Itís just a matter of time. Buy more original keys, as they are best. Donít use locks that are needed for there locking ability!

By Original keys you mean pre cut to bump key or ones that are not cut and get them cut. So I assume the ones we are buying from here are not as good a quality, would that be right

Thanks......................drummond

#6 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:52 AM

You should probably just buy more originals (originals being bought from bump key .us), instead of copying. The copies you will get are probably not going to be very good quality, so spare your self another wait, and just buy more at first. There is not reallly a way to stop your key from breaking, its just a matter of time, you can lengthen the life of your keys, by just not using as much tension and lighter 'smacks'.

#7 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

By Original keys you mean pre cut to bump key or ones that are not cut and get them cut. So I assume the ones we are buying from here are not as good a quality, would that be right

Thanks......................drummond

When I mention original keys I’m talking about the keys you buy here from the main site at Bump Key US. These keys then can be modified with a file to make them more effective. The original keys you buy here are high quality and well worth the extra money over making a cheep copy of them.

#8 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Thank you for the reply, I ordered 5 more keys, but I will try to be more carfull with the tension, practise makers perfect..............drummond

#9 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:53 PM

also why was ur 1st key unuseable did it break in half or twist or bend if any of those where at on the key
Bump It And You Will Enter

#10 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

Thanks for the reply bumper, the shoulder bent down with the break (not all the way through) at the first pin groove by the shoulder........drummond

#11 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

If all of the pins are still on the piece you have, then i guess you should be able to copy it still. You could just tell the locksmith this was your last key for your house or something, and you broke it, and he/she should do it for you.

#12 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

Even cheap keys should never succumb to such a dreadful end :). Bumping is about technique, not power. Pick up a pin and feel how light it is...why would you need power to move such a tiny object? Light tension with an accurate light tap will bump a lock....I've bumped countless numbers of locks...and believe me its not about power.

#13 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

Even cheap keys should never succumb to such a dreadful end :). Bumping is about technique, not power. Pick up a pin and feel how light it is...why would you need power to move such a tiny object? Light tension with an accurate light tap will bump a lock....I've bumped countless numbers of locks...and believe me its not about power.

Judging by your avatar it IS about power!!@#! ;)

Really though - bentpick is right. You should never be applying that much force (to where the key breaks).

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#14 drummond52

drummond52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, My new ones ( 5 ) will be here soon and I can assure all I will be a little bit more gentle................drummond

#15 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

I guess I've been getting too rough out of frustration with my KW1. I've bent it several times and twisted it as well. Even twisted an M1.

I've only managed to bump 2 padlocks, nothing else. I guess I just don't get it.

#16 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:08 PM

I've only managed to bump 2 padlocks, nothing else. I guess I just don't get it.

Keep working at it. I had a horrible time trying to bump when I first started out, and it was all about force. Logically, if it doesn't work right the first time, you take the Russian way out and whack it harder. Bumping is one of the few things in life that don't respond well to that.

No matter what tension you use, if the key isn't struck properly, it will never open. It sounds rather clichť, but it really is all in the wrist. Making yourself a flexible hammer helps to illustrate this. Use more of a "flick" as opposed to a pounding action, and with a little experimentation you should be very pleased with the results.

#17 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

I made a hammer from a rubber cork and hacksaw blade as posted in another thread around here somewhere. Seems to work good.

I bet what I'm doing wrong is hitting the key directly from behind in a pounding action.

Am I supposed to be able to hear pins resetting when I release tension from an unsuccessful bump? Most of the time I can't hear any pins.

#18 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

With most locks, an close but unsucessful bump will result in a chorus of dropping pins once you release tension. This would indicate that several pin stacks were bumped, but one or more of them bound. Some locks just don't give the pin dropping feedback, so try out several locks. I find that Master brand padlocks almost always allow you to hear the pins dropping, but no-name clones can be inaudible.

If you can hear the pins dropping sometimes, you're using far too much tension. This means that with attempts where you hear no pins dropping, the top pins never made it above the shearline, because the pressure on the plug pinched them in place. Let off the tension a lot, and see if your results are any better.

Posted Image

The correct amount of tension for bumping is enough pressure to turn the plug once it has been bumped, but not enough to cause this binding. Your success in bumping is probably due to hitting the key hard enough to overcome these pinched pins, which is unreliable and damaging. (Thus the title of the post, "breaking key".) Best of luck!

#19 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

I finally found a KW1 replacement rim cylinder today. After 5 minutes of bumping unsuccessfully, the original key still works, but the cylinder is much tighter to turn. I don't see how I can possibly destroy something so quick. lol

It may be my bumpkey, it's rather flat on the tip where I filed it perhaps too much. I should get another copy made, preferrably a good one this time.

Speaking of copies, my local Home Depot uses those horrible Axxess keys and the same crap machine as Lowe's and Walmart. Is this what everyone is going to, instead of good Ilco machines like at the little mom & pop hardware stores?

#20 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

The pins are brass not tempered steel...they can be damaged. Brass pins can be bent with enough force. The brass can also be scraped causing the length of the pin to change. Imagine scraping a knife across the end of a stick of room tempature butter. Too much force on the hit and too much torque could cause both of these situations.

The tip should be about 45 degrees. That will be the most effective angle.

These stores all have the same machines because your pet monkey has enough skill to operate it. It take a higher skill set to operate an Ilco key cutter. I make my own keys and usually file the valleys a little extra to allow for the longest pin per lock type. Go ahead and get your copies made at any of these places and just file the valleys a little deeper. The rest should be a wash. :cool:
Bump it to the next level.