• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

The theory behind minimal movement is to force a key slightly further into the keyway than it would normally go. Intuitively, you must then file both the upper and lower shoulders an equal amount. If either remains unfiled, it will prevent the continued travel of the key into the keyway.

#62 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:25 PM

The theory behind minimal movement is to force a key slightly further into the keyway than it would normally go. Intuitively, you must then file both the upper and lower shoulders an equal amount. If either remains unfiled, it will prevent the continued travel of the key into the keyway.

thank you for that answer.:bow: ive been waiting a month to finally figure this out. now i can attempt a minimal movement key for real. thanks again for the clear answer. now if we can just get a pic (not illustration) of a real finished, filed, minimal movement key....:smile:

:smoker: that was your 420th post, theopratr :smoker:

#63 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

I'll see what I can do about getting you a picture. I'm out on the job right now, but when I get home I'll dig out my shiny, new digital camera...

#64 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:43 PM

Here are 2 examples of bump keys filed i found on youtube, filed for the minimal movement method. Are the cuts on these keys correct? In the videos it says they are, but i wanted to make sure before i started filing on my copies...

http://s7.photobucke...nt=kwickset.jpg
http://s7.photobucke...ent=bumpkey.jpg

One pic is of 2 schlage keys. One 5 pin, one 6 pin. The other pic is of a kwickset house key. How do these keys look for minimal movement?

#65 snooKa

snooKa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:14 PM

One question, you would have to also file the other shoulder or i am wrong? because it also looks like it blocks it from going further.

#66 deadstealth

deadstealth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

One question, you would have to also file the other shoulder or i am wrong? because it also looks like it blocks it from going further.

you do have to file both shoulders, and the tip. you are supposed to file between .5 and 1mm off each place

we need pics of a confirmed working minimal movement key

#67 bumpr

bumpr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:00 AM

I filed off about 0.6mm from the tip, and the top and bottom shoulders of my kw1 bumpkey. I also filed down the front triangle some so its the same size as the others.

On my front door i can do the minimal movement method every time and the pullout most tries. On the back door i can do the pullout every time and the minimal movement about half that. That filed key pushes back out less when i put it in all the way in the back lock than the front, and my house key sometimes catches when i try to turn it and i have to shake or pull the key out a hair to get it to turn in that lock. I guess if I don't get something open with the minimum movement method i'll try the pullout method.

Does 0.5-1.0mm work on every key? If i get a key set and file it down i wouldn't want to find out my key was ruined when i wanted to get a lock open.

Edited by bumpr, 30 October 2008 - 03:03 AM.

#68 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Does 0.5-1.0mm work on every key? If i get a key set and file it down i wouldn't want to find out my key was ruined when i wanted to get a lock open.

Here's the thing: it might not be the same for every lock. If you're just getting started I would suggest filing some off, give it a 'whack'. If it doesn't work cut some more.
And then if you still cant' get it.
:brickwall:

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#69 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:26 AM

I gave the fine
people of lowes
my set of five that
havent been filed,
and they did it no problem.

I don't get this poem...is it a poem???

#70 redcity