• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

I've come to the conclusion that using two fingers (not one) is the absolute best way to feel for the correct tension. Using a single finger or a tension wrench has been far less successful for me. I especially noticed this when doing the minimal movement method. Also, using a bump hammer with a light to moderate 'tap' is all that is necessary. Just some thoughts to hopefully help someone else out :).

Take care and happy bumping!!

#2 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

how much tension do u use like if you push on your arm does it like make a indent or would you just feel it??

#3 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

how much tension do u use like if you push on your arm does it like make a indent or would you just feel it??

I have opened some locks by hardly touching the key. If it were my arm I would barely feel it. Other locks I have had to apply torque where if it were my arm it would make a slight or moderate depression.

My experience however is working on mounted locks not hand held. I start with minimal force and increase if necessary. You are also working in tandem i.e. bump force and torque and both are variables that need to be modified to fit the situation.

#4 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

I also use the same technique for opening the locks, like two fingers are best possibly used rather than using one. I always used this technique and most of the time I was successful.

Chris