• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 marez

marez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Wats up all, Iam new to bumping and am trying to make a bump key although I have not enough knowledge, I did search for instructions but didn't quite fullfilled me. I seem to find out that when making a bump key, you need to mark something, I quite don't understand what and why?? I heard something about the valleys but as a noob,don't know what that is and infer that its the little holes on the key but not sure. Also, I don't understand when they say to the depth of 9? Is that fileing deep down to the key line? Thank you all for the help. I have a set of 3 orange big files from home depot (triangle,square,round) and a hobby set. (has most shapes.

#2 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

You should lurk around this forum, you will find some very usefull information. There is a also a sticky in the FAQ'S sections that shows you many of the basics you need to know about bumpkeys, including the definitions of the bumping 'terms'. What you need to mark is the correct spacing of the peaks, so that can hit the pins properly. The 9 depth is usually the lowest cut on most keys. As for which files you should use, when i made my own key i prefered to use a small circular file. You should also search on www.youtube.com for bumping advice too. There are many different videos on the site that will probably help you. Good luck.

#3 marez

marez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:38 AM

Alright, thanks I kind of understand now.

#4 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

To create a bump key you should file the key and create uniform valleys and steeps, for marking and other stuffs first of all you have knowledge about the lock, key-ways and pins. you may check any video related to bumping for detailed information.

Chris