• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:27 AM

Just got my 11 key set today. Haven't had a chance to get them copied yet, but I was bumping the KW1 a little while it was on a keyring with the other 10 keys. This seemed to dampen the bumping alot.

Do you guys take a key off the ring or leave it on to bump?

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:30 AM

I have tried both ways and like using a single key, no key ring or other keys. The added weight and awkwardness of handling the added parts detracts from bumping. With a key ring full of keys, one does not have the control needed to bump sensitive locks, locks that need a light touch, etc. The bow end will be weighed down causing the tip end to angle up in the keyway instead of letting the key go in straight or level. Also, it would seem that the force of the bump would be distributed throughout all the keys on the ring instead of going fully into the key where it needs to go. Try both ways to see what works best for you though, but I prefer using a single key.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Same for me... It's easier for me to apply the correct amount of tension if the key is just by it self.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

yeah, in the begginning i thought it would be more convenient if i didnt have to take the keys off the ring each time, but i found it really akward to find out the proper tension to apply when the keyring with all the other keys are on it.

#5 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

Thanks guys. I'll have to get a couple of those hinged keyrings to make it easier to get the keys off.

#6 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:10 AM

Same here, I prefer to bump single keyed, I've tried a few times with it on a ring, and either struggled to flop the other keys out of the way or the ring itself... Just more of a pain.. Get yourself one of those thin carabiner type of key rings they work great for taking keys off quickly

Thanks guys. I'll have to get a couple of those hinged keyrings to make it easier to get the keys off.

#7 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:30 AM

dunno if this helps but i can get rings for cheap so i put 1 on each key then put all the keys on one of those rock climber D-Rings u know with the little slide thing then just open slip out bump slip on good 2 go

#8 MrLocks

MrLocks

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

As my experience I always do it without keyring it make the lock bumping more easier. I also suggest you to try with both and see which one will do the job best.
Sandy