• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 carcar

carcar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

Hi, I'm new on this forum and i have a question!
I got my bump key from the locksmith and i bump ordinary 5 pin lock!
I got it one or two times that it's opened, but i got a question!
When i bump the lock and i carefully take the key out ( the lock is still locked in the position that i push it with tension wrech), i can clearly see that there are all the pins down, but the key doesnt turn! :S
Does anybody know why ???

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:54 AM

I'm trying to figure out what you mean exactly...
The pins are supposed to be up, right?

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 carcar

carcar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:06 AM

Well i have lock that has pins on the down side of the lock!!! When i bump the lock, the pins goes down and stay down so you cant see them if you look in the lock!!! They are pushed all the way down and they stay there, so it should open but it wont!!!

#4 Alatus

Alatus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:19 AM

If the pins are all the way down, chances are they are past the break point. So the door's still locked.

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:00 PM

Well i have lock that has pins on the down side of the lock!!! When i bump the lock, the pins goes down and stay down so you cant see them if you look in the lock!!! They are pushed all the way down and they stay there, so it should open but it wont!!!

A pin tumbler lock will only open if all the top pins are above the shear line and the bottom pins are below the shear line. In lock bumping all the top pins have to be above the shear line and the bottom pins have to be below the shear line for the plug to turn and the lock to open.

A pin tumbler lock that is installed with the pins down poses a problem for lock bumping. Gravity is in effect. The bottom pins will move down with the top pins because gravity is pulling on them. The shear line is nearly impossible to achieve. Doable, but very difficult. Take the same lock, turn it over so the pins are on the up side and it is much easier to bump.
Bump it to the next level.

#6 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

By the way, carcar, WELCOME to the forum.
Bump it to the next level.

#7 carcar

carcar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

TNX, it's good to be here :D

#8 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

haha i hope its not a six pen and the tension from the front five are holdin the tumbler there. if you move it can u tell there are five clicks or do u know its a five?

#9 carcar

carcar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

I'm sure it's five pins, i got the keys of the lock! It's definetly 5 pin lock!!!

#10 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

OK when u do get it are you turning it hard before you bump or are you trying different things each time? The easy answer is do it the same as you did when it opens but you may not be used to holding the same torque each time. practice practice:) good luck
Bump It And You Will Enter

#11 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

If the pins are all the way down, chances are they are past the break point. So the door's still locked.

I am agree with you, if pins are down then there may be some problem if key didn't turn.
Sandy