• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:36 PM

Spraying WD-40 into your locks makes them more difficult to bump.

This has been reported as something to do on many news casts reporting on bumping.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

False. It invariably makes them easier to bump.

#3 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:48 AM

Not only that... BUT IT CAN ACTUALLY DAMAGE THE LOCKS! Please DO NOT use WD40 on your locks, for your own sake.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

I only use WD-40 when I know that when I get a bad lock opened I am going to throw it away. For example, this morning I got a call to rekey a foreclosure house with a HUD lock on the front door and a Marks set on the iron door in the back. The Marks was in really bad shape and had a lot of dirt and who knows what else in it, so I got out the WD-40 and sprayed it full a couple of times so I could pick it. I did run a pick in it before I used the spray, but the pick had so much crud on it that I felt I HAD NO CHOICE but to spray it full of the cheapest lube available. I did clean the cylinders after I took them apart and applied Tri-Flow when I got ready to reassemble the parts.

As a rule though, NEVER put WD-40 in a lock.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:42 AM

I have seen a locksmith use WD-40 in a lock before picking. I have used it in my locks without any problems. So what does WD-40 do that is so bad?

#6 bentpick

bentpick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

WD-40 is a solvent, hence it dissolves grease. A lock needs some degree of grease, WD-40 will dry your lock out causing metal on metal wear. WD-40= Bad...blah....no good. It will eventually make the lock unbumpable, which = bad bad bad.

#7 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the info. No more WD-40 in locks for me.

#8 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for the info. No more WD-40 in locks for me.

You can use it if it is a last resort, can't find the good lube because the van needs cleaned out and reorganized, etc. If I get in a pinch or if the lock is going to be thrown away after it is opened, then I will use WD-40 because in the short term it works well. Long term, it will degrease a lock and as mentioned above, it will cause excessive wear.

If a lock is weathered but in otherwise good condition (and I can find the TriFlow) I use WD-40 to penetrate and lubricate so I can get the lock 'broke loose' and pickable. After I get the lock open, I dissemble it, clean it and relube using TriFlow or any other good lock lubricant. The key here is a thorough cleaning out of the WD-40 and lubricating with a good quality lock lube.

By the way, I never use graphite on locks. Personal preference.
  • Customer Support likes this

#9 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

... What BLK said...

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#10 kespup

kespup

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

WD-40 will work as I have used it. But I now understand it is bad for the lock and should be avoided. So what about Lock Saver Lubricant? Will it make a lock easier to pick and bump like WD-40 without the harmful effects? I have provided a link below.

http://www.hostonlin...ategory_Code=lb

#11 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

I wonder how sillicon spray would work... Cheaper than WD, just as slick, and its not a degreaser so it shouldn't remove any of the locks lube...

#12 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

I wonder how sillicon spray would work... Cheaper than WD, just as slick, and its not a degreaser so it shouldn't remove any of the locks lube...

TriFlow works just like that.

#13 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

According to my experience if you use that in lock it will make it more difficult to bump