• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Hey. I bought a set of keys from bumpkey.us, and I haven't been able to bump a single thing. I've read this forum inside and out... but when I'm trying to bump a Kwikset when I turn the key back to the left slowly and listen.. I usually hear 4 pins dropping.. So I know 4 pins are bumped.. and its always like that. I constantly get 4 different clicks, but never the 5th one to open it. I believe it is the first pin that isn't bumping. Any suggestions?

Also, the masterlocks with the yellow plastic trim on the bottom (as opposed to the blue) do m1 keys open them, or do I need another one?

Thanks in advance..

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:43 PM

In reverse order:

The yellow Masters simply identify them as "commercial grade". This doesn't help you identify which keyway they use. Chances are, however, that it will use an M1. No guarentees, however.

As for your Kwikset, either something else is making the noise (the rest of the locking mechanism) OR you have four pins in that lock that are keyed to a 7 depth... or the lowest for Kwikset, so that without bumping the lock they are already set. This would be both extremely rare, and very difficult to bump, if this were to be the case. If you have an original key, post a pic and we'll check it out.

#3 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

As you requested:

Posted Image

#4 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

In addition the yellow masterlock I'm referring to says "No5" on the bottom of it

#5 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

Very deep cut on the first pin. This might be why you are having problems. My suggestion would be to file a bit deeper into the key.

Posted Image

Take a peek here. This is just an idea of what should be filed on your bump key. Keep in mind that if you're filing it's _A LOT_ easier to file more than put metal back on.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#6 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

Now just to clarify, on the bump key, do I file the tip to the end of the white area that you outlined?

#7 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

I'll check out the key for a Master #5 for you today.

#8 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

I appreciate that.. I'm pretty sure it won't work as I usually bump some pins on all the locks (except for the masterlock) Just seems like I'm banging a piece of metal into a hole hitting nothing. (M1 Key on Yellow Masterlock No5)

#9 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

looking at the picture of a 'MASTER M5', I'm not sure how you even fit the M1 into the lock!?!

They are keyed completely different... also it looks like the M5 is a 5 pin whereas the M1 is a 4 pin.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#10 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:29 PM

Yeah, if def fits. I'll post a picture of both the M1 key and the No5 Masterlock Key when I get home. They are the same length though..

#11 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Here is a picture of the Lock, Closeup of the Keyhole (No5 MasterlockCo), Closeup of the original Key, and from top to bottom, bumpkey.us m1 key, duplicate, and original key from lock.

Posted Image

#12 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

Take a peek here:
http://www.masterloc...&template=style
This is the 'No.5' Padlock by master lock.

It is indeed a 4 pin key. Which means it's not a M5.

James K. - Lead Support

#13 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

Hrm, so it should work no problem with a M1 Key? All the demo's I've ever seen with people picking those types of masterlocks are with the blue bottoms...

#14 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

Try a heavier hand on the tension. That is indeed an M1, and if you don't feel as though your attempts are having any effect, an increase in tension might yield results.

#15 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

Well it indeed does bump a No5 yellow masterlock. I did it about 10 times :)

Interesting to note though, I couldn't bump it for the life of me.. just wouldn't work. I decided to try some lube. I had Mohawk Silicone Dry Lubricant (Says it will not corrode metal and prevents rust) Sprayed it directly into the keyhole.. and took the bump key and put it in and out about 20 times.. then tried with the same technique, BAM! Opened right away. I can open it constantly now.

That was on an older no5 masterlock. When I got home I was eager to try it on my lock I bought brand new last week.. Couldn't bump it. Sprayed a little of the silicone dry lubricant in the key hole.. did the same thing, and wa-la. Popped right open. That was on a brand new Masterlock. I am confident if I didn't try this stuff on the locks, I would have never bumped it. This also worked for my front door I was unable to bump!

Hooray!!!

#16 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

Lube and bump....hmmmmm

Is that lube and bump with the pull out method or minimal movement?

Bump it to the next level.

#17 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

So many sexual innuendos. Anyway.. Lube with the pull out technique. So far with the dry lube I've gone from no locks bumped to about 7 different ones since this afternoon. :)

#18 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

I know this is off topic a bit.. but be careful with using too much lube and the pull out method.

James K. - Lead Support

#19 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Why do you say that? If you're referring to the birth control method... I still pose the same question. :)

#20 RalphWiggum

RalphWiggum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:20 AM

For all those interested, here is a link to the exact product I used. Worked like a charm.

Dry Lubricant