32 replies to this topic

#1 here take a bump

here take a bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

Posted Image
Here is my first KW1 and its ground down mate (flea bay) Tried the both a million times on a 3 locks (no name on them, key fit fine, house type locks and dead bolts) no luck. How does my filing look? Also tried 3 different hammers devices... no luck...time will tell.... How do you know what a lock is if it does not say nothing on it but 3 of your keys fit in it fine? I am gonna keep trying. My picking sucks too... I know my metal working so I just need to get it right. Cant wait to try a master lock, the little #30 picks with no technique at all...
Posted Image
Here is my stash of stuff, blanks came from fleabay for $15. Home Depot was a trip.. HAHA.... I did not want to press my luck and only got a few trial keys cut from the masters..... The guy was like, what the hell, these are the strangest keys I have ever seen! I said dude they are for my boss and I am on lunch break so I just kept looking at all the other stuff around the store while he cut them to avoid conversation.

I have been using the pull out method < on the keys not my gal :) >. I have no idea what the other method minimal movement is. I looked for an hour for it and could not find anything. So I will keep trying to file off the tips and shoulders and keep trying until that smile appears on my face. Maybe not file, I'll try both..... I need more locks to practice on.

Fun and Frustrating!!!!!!! What else can I say....
Thanks for the cool site.

IF I ever get in a bind I'll bump it with a 5.56mm 62grn SS109 out of my Colt HBAR. A bit loud but ALWAYS works :)[/img]

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

The key looks fine.

You might try taking your pick and explore the keyway to see how many pins there are. It could be a 6 pin lock in which case the 5 pin key would probably not work even though you have it modified well. Try the Titan key (second from the left, top row of your stash pic). It is a KW10, 6 pin that will fit the same key way. I sometimes use a Titan to bump a contrary 5 pin. I would use the pull out method until you find and read the thread on minimal movement method. I personally use the pull out method. It works just fine for me.
Bump it to the next level.

#3 here take a bump

here take a bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

Posted Image
Thank you BLK, I counted them and yes there are 6 not 5 pins..So I switched over to the mod. and unmod'ed. KW10. Still working at it. Not one bump yet on any lock.

Should you apply tension before you bump or a spit second after? I am assuming that you do it before. And hearing the pins fall after tension is released is a good thing because ... something is happening, but just not in the right order or position :( Just like when you are picking. Everything has to be just right at the right second and bingo the tumbler turns effortlessly.

Posted Image
Here is my new bump hammer. It feels like it is doing the right thing. If all else fails I could use the green tipped SS109's. You know....if I had to :)

#4 JXB7

JXB7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:44 PM

Posted Image
Thank you BLK, I counted them and yes there are 6 not 5 pins..So I switched over to the mod. and unmod'ed. KW10. Still working at it. Not one bump yet on any lock.

Should you apply tension before you bump or a spit second after? I am assuming that you do it before. And hearing the pins fall after tension is released is a good thing because ... something is happening, but just not in the right order or position :( Just like when you are picking. Everything has to be just right at the right second and bingo the tumbler turns effortlessly.

Posted Image
Here is my new bump hammer. It feels like it is doing the right thing. If all else fails I could use the green tipped SS109's. You know....if I had to :)

I think the SS109's might be a little OVERKILL. just keep trying you'll get it

#5 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:53 AM

Have you tried bumping a M1 Master lock first? I noticed that they are much much eaiser than other locks, and once I had it down pact, I more or less got the feeling on how to improve my bump rate on deadbolts, and handle locks..

#6 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

I think the SS109's might be a little OVERKILL. just keep trying you'll get it

OVERKILL, yes. But oh so gratifing!

#7 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:24 AM

OVERKILL, yes. But oh so gratifing!

Almost wonder if it would really work or not?... I remember watching a mythbusters a while back, where they tested, handguns, and high powered rifles on locks, and the only one that actually worked on a lock was a 12 guage shotgun....

Not to burst your bubble or anything..

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

In my very limited experience with firearms and locks, most handgun rounds do little, but a nice 12 gauge rifled slug does the trick... on the lock, hinges, or what have you. A large rifle round would probably work as well, although a 5.56 x 45mm round like that may not have enough mass... given, what it lacks in mass, it makes up in velocity... I feel an experiment coming on.

#9 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

While my .40 cal isn't that big..... I'll try one day to see what I can take out with 9 rounds

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#10 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:43 PM

I think the 30.06 would take care of even a metal door....let's see, 5 rounds in the clip, 1 in the tube....I think that will do...

#11 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

It would vary widely depending on what the actual lock was made out of... the difference between what a bullet will do to brass and what it will do to steel is rather shocking. The .30-06 isn't playing around at all... I'd say that would get the job done.

If you had some rounds for the .40 that had a solid core, you might have more luck.

My SKS blew apart a Master padlock at point blank range. At ranges greater than that it didn't complete pierce it... more threw it while giving it a solid dent. Given, I was using Wolf 7.62 x 39mm JHP, so it wasn't the hottest ammo around.

#12 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I know this isn't the right thread to talk about my gun habits... hehe..
but i would really like an assault rifle. Alot of people have actually suggested the SKS.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#13 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

This is certainly not the place, I know. Locks and guns... both mechanical creatures, and if the active members of this forum are any examples, it seems as though those who are interested in one are often interested in the other.

If I had to take one semi-automatic into the wilderness with me, it would definitely be my SKS. I've put 7,500 or so rounds through the thing with no problems that were not caused by poor quality ammunition. The ammo is plentiful and cheap, and an unissued Chinese example will run you under $200. It's not the most accurate, it's not the prettiest, it's not the most technilogically advanced... but when you pull the trigger, it goes bang. And what a bang it is. Robust, reliable and servicable. I love it.

And although you say assault rifle, if you remove the bayonet lug it is legal, even under the previous assault weapons ban. (Only a ten round magazine as standard.) Historically being the precursor (in terms of Russian service arms) to the AK-47, it bears a strong resemblance in terms of reliability. At longer ranges (>300 meters) it's a bit more accurate than the AK, but those sorts of conditions aren't paticularly common.

If you're thinking about getting an assault weapon, do it before the next election. They're trying to get some pretty psychotic anti-gun reforms through.

#14 here take a bump

here take a bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

First off shooting metal with guns is very dangerous at any range. I shoot IPSC pistols competitions and a .45acp and anything below will just splatter on hardened steel plates. An SKS is not an assault rifle, if you get one get a Yugo not not one from China. They are really JUST blasting rifles go with an AR15 and that is also not an "assault rifle." I also shoot NRA High Power matches (Expert Classifiction). You will not hit anything with either one of those other rifles beyond 300 yards, trust me on this.

Most rifle bullets designed for hunting do very little to steel. Military ammo is different. Armor piercing ammo is a regular jacketed bullet with a hardened steel core or tip. The two holes on the bottom left are from a .223 the bottom one being the SS109, see how the penetrator core went deeper than the hole above it. The two in the upper right are 7.62x54R. The top being a total steel core and the bottom being lead core (notice no rust). The top one almost went through the .625 (5/8") steel plate. This is dangerous!!!!!! the steel core came back and bounced off a tree next to me (I was approx...75yards away, what I though was a safe distance).

Shooting a dead bolt and a pad lock are different ball games. The energy transfer is no where near the same as in a stationary target.

OK, to keep this to bumping, with other than bullets~ :) Notice my newly broke KW10. It broke from being wacked a few times off center and having to bend it back straight. Bummer......

I will try the advice to try on a master lock first, makes sense, except I don't want to shell out the $6 for one to play with..... This stuff all adds up!! Had to get 2 new keys too....

Posted Image

#15 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

You may have had too many bumps...and broke your key. Hopefully, it was a copy and not the original.

I got my wife an SKS. What a fum weapon! I think after 3 seconds/30 rounds any lock would be hard pressed to survive. I feel an experiment coming on....

Still think the 30.06 would be better.

#16 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

This is certainly not the place, I know. Locks and guns... both mechanical creatures, and if the active members of this forum are any examples, it seems as though those who are interested in one are often interested in the other.

If I had to take one semi-automatic into the wilderness with me, it would definitely be my SKS. I've put 7,500 or so rounds through the thing with no problems that were not caused by poor quality ammunition. The ammo is plentiful and cheap, and an unissued Chinese example will run you under $200.

Indeed, I love my MAK-90 and lock picking/bumping, unfortunately 7.62x39 has gotten so expensive ($4 per box or almost $200 per 1000rnds) that I no longer shoot, so I hang on to the few hundred rounds I have left in case SHTF. The guns aren't nearly as cheap as they used to be either.

I have a feeling with the new gun ban going around Congress now, things will change for the worse, and there may even be legislation introduced in the next few years that may severely hurt the bumping and picking hobbies, so better buy/make what you can now.

#17 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hate to double post, but the edit button seems to be missing from my last post. Anyway, I was getting anxious waiting for my order to arrive, so I made a couple KW1s last night, both filed by hand from old/spare keys with a round file. The silver one glides smoothly in the lock, but the brass one is rough. I spent about 3 hours between last night and today bumping with these keys, with no success. Both keys are nearly identical, yet neither quite lines up properly with the original key for the lock I'm trying them in. They look pretty good though.
Posted Image

#18 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

If you're going to bump the lock, the grooves absolutely, positively MUST line up. Otherwise you're not striking all the pins in the correct manner. Although you can get away with small grooves on the KW1, it may help to have larger ones when you're starting off so precision isn't such an issue.

#19 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Just keep in mind... if you have bigger peaks chances are you won't have as big (wide) of a valley. If I remember correctly KW1 and KW10 OEM pins _REQUIRE_ wide valleys.

Also, i do believe that editing a post after... hrm... 5 mins is not allowed. That's why the 'edit' button wasn't there :rolleyes:

James K. - Lead Support

#20 here take a bump

here take a bump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!
My cheery got busted!!!!!!
My first bump feels good. So good I am gonna hit it again...... Wait, a little more, one more ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
That's the feel I was looking for.
It is only a Master #3 but it is new to me.
Now I know the "feel" I am looking for.
Thanks for the advice on trying a padlock first....
Humm.......what's next?
I think I hit it up and take another bump :)
Yea baby! Yea....