• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bump123

Bump123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

Here is a quick and cheap and very easy way to make a quite efficient "Bump Hammer"

Supplies + Cost

1.) Rubber Stopper (RS-8 (Ace Hardware)) $0.85
2.) Hack Saw blade (Flex Type) $1.29 (They all flex/bend, but the ones that say FLEX on them, won't snap on you)

3.) Electrical Tape + Rag/Cloth $1-2 (if you don't already have it laying around.

4.) Small screw.

Step 1
Ok, Since the hacksaw blade already has a hole in it, no drilling is required, just center the hole on the stoppers WIDE side and pop in a short screw when it gets close to being all the way in only use 3 fingers to tighten, DON'T OVERTIGHTEN ITS RUBBER If its solid you got it right.

Step 2

Wrap the lower couple of inches of the hacksaw blade with some electrical tape, wrap it with a small piece of rag/cloth etc... Then wrap with some more tape!

And your done! You now have a bump hammer that has improved my bump rate from 4-5/10 to 9-10/10 times..

Here are some pics of it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Awesome idea! Necessity is one Mother of invention!
Bump it to the next level.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Considering the number of idiotic ideas for bump hammers we see here on a regular basis, you are to be commended for coming up with something that, in my humble opinion, looks to be both economical and functional. Thank you for contributing your idea to the forum. :)

#4 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:09 AM

That's one of those rare ideas that's so simple, it's brilliant. Thanks for posting this. I'm going to make one myself now.

#5 Akina1021

Akina1021

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:11 AM

i have to say this was one of THE most creative things ive seen here... very nice invention... so simple i had to try it myself, and man it works just like the bump hammer that i bought online... although the hacksaw blade did cut me a few times when i wasnt paying attention haha... once again.. nice work
I never quit.... i wanna keep improving in everything i do in life... little by little everyday... i improve my skills...

#6 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

I made mine last night, but I took the teeth off the blade with a bench grinder before attaching the rubber cork, and I rounded the broken end of the blade. Makes for a more user-friendly tool. I already had a hacksaw blade laying around, but the rubber stopper cost me $2. Much better than $20+ for a factory made hammer.

#7 mikenjapan

mikenjapan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

I just ordered (for about 1/2 the the price of a XXX bump hammer) a doctors reflex hammer and a Buck Neruological Hammer from a medical supply store. It might work as well as a regular bump hammer....I will let you all know when I get then in, right now (new to this) I am using a screwdriver with a piece of rubber hose on the end that I hold on to. Anyone else try a reflex hammer?

#8 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

We had someone here that started a thread about the medical hammer.. I've never tired it and would be great full if you could report back and tell us how it works.

I just use my 'actual' bump hammer to bump.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#9 thoughtcriminal

thoughtcriminal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

I just constructed one of these out of a very flexible "Bi-Metaloy" 12" hacksaw blade and a #6 rubber stopper as finding a #8 was close to impossible. The author claims it can be found at Ace hardware stores but after hours of looking at various Ace, Lowes, and Home Depots in the area for a #8 I had to settle for a smaller #6 style which I procured at a beer making supply store.

The surface area is smaller but it seems to smack back like the Tomahawk. I am still not having much success, though. I've tried the handle of screw drivers, spoons, butter knives, and whatever else I could find and I am having very little success in all. I've successfully bumped one lock twice out of 30 or so tries with this new hammer, compared to three times out of 400+ tries with the back of a screw driver.

What in the hell am I doing wrong?

- T

#10 razlex

razlex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:17 PM

the rubber stopper.... is it like the kind that goes on the tip of those kick stands to keep doors open? or something entirely different? cuz if it's one of those door stopper tips, wouldn't that rubber be to soft?

btw, these are the hammers i made the other night for 1.50$ using a ruler and a cutting board.... they seem to work pretty well as i get my keys more refined. (they're kinda ugly tho)

http://img338.images...e=hammerrg3.jpg

#11 Excellence

Excellence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Looks easy to make, I'll probably make one over the weekend.
I just need my set of keys now.

#12 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

I really like the idea. I think I'll bum around walmart and see if I can't find something other than a saw blade to use as a handle. You can find anything at walmart :biggrin:

#13 lostwithoutabeat

lostwithoutabeat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'm actually thinking about using the handle for a kitchen scrubbrush and attaching the rubber stopper from the first post. or maybe using one of those rubber door stops you see at schools and office buildings, it seems like a big one would work nicely...in theory:rolleyes:

#14 scottmccart

scottmccart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

just going to Big Lots and buying an 8 oz. rubber mallet for 99 cents.
You can bump your friends and you can bump your locks but can you bump your friend's locks? :rolleyes:

#15 KaBarBumper

KaBarBumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:01 AM

Egh, I'm still trying to find the rubber stopper lol, is it also called a rubber cork? Tomorrow I'm gonna check Lowes for a Flex type blade, as Home Depot didn't have any. If there's nothing locally, I'll just buy a bump hammer (the cost of shipping at different online stores is more than a adj. weight bump hammer :furious3:)

On a side note, I made my first bump key using hand filers last night in my new vice. I actually got it too work using my USMC Ka-Bar as a bump hammer (hence my user name :biggrin:) on my Brinks medium security 40mm padlock w/ spool pins . A tip for the newbies like me, if you want to get hand filers, get them at Harbor Freight Tools. I got a 6 peice set from Lowes that cost $16.97 compared to the 12 or so peice set at HFT that cost right around $8 bucks... And yes, I did look at them both closely, different packages but they are the exact same thing!

#16 KaBarBumper

KaBarBumper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:47 AM

Sweet! Earlier today I made my own bump hammer thanks to this awesome guide. I went ahead and gave it to my uncle, who is a Locksmith. He already has 2 bump hammers but likes mine a lot! I got to try his Brockhage adj. weight bump hammer before I left, and while a factory made bump hammer like that has another option to it, I like the feel of my Ka-Bar better haha. Thanks, Bump123!

#17 locksmith673

locksmith673

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

Nice dude i got tons of thoes stoppers lying around and untill now nothing to do with them... this is gonna be SWEET!!

#18 JasonTheKey

JasonTheKey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Ive made my own bump hammer consisting of a Wescott ruler 14 plastic poker chips all glued together and glued to the ruler using Gorrilla glue. This works quite well. You can find all of these items at your local drug store with the exception of the gorilla glue which you can find at your local hardware store.

#19 BumpValue

BumpValue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:44 AM

Hey everyone - a newbie here. Got my bumpkeys today and I'm already able to bump the deadbolt (KW1) on my front door with reasonable frequency and an old Masterlock padlock (M1 key) I had lying around, near effortlessly (9 times out of 10). I spent an hour today bumping with the back of a screwdriver which worked well but then I came across some kid on YouTube who had made his own bump hammer. It seemed like a good idea so I made one myself. It consists of a portion of a plastic clothes hanger, a 9 volt battery, and electrical tape. I must say, it is quite effective albeit ugly as sin. I will try and post a pic soon. Total cost, $0 since I had everything I needed around the house. Thanks everyone for all the great posts here. I'm learning alot!

I am going to try this hacksaw blade idea too, soon.

#20 df99

df99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:44 AM

Heres my incarnation of the homemade bump hammer. I used a short length of transmission oil cooler tubing as a handle. The tubing is stiff enough that if flattened slightly with a book, the hacksaw blade slips right on. Releasing the somewhat stiff tubing causes it to return to its original shape, gripping the teeth of the hacksaw securely. It will not slip.

The stoppers were at my Ace hardware in the section where they sell loose nuts and bolts (in slide-out boxes).

This thing works great. It revealed to me just how little controlled force is required to bump a lock. The force can be controlled by varying the swing and positioning ones thumb at various points along the exposed portion of the hacksaw blade.

It is important to get the screw perfectly centered in the stopper. A trick I used was to trace around the wide side of the stopper, cut out the circle of paper, and fold it in half at different points twice. The point where the creases intersect is the center. Use the paper as a template and mark the center of the stopper by pressing the pointed sheet metal screw through the paper into the stopper.

Attached File  IMG_0348.jpg   75.83KB   9 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0349.jpg   71.84KB   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0350.jpg   54.63KB   11 downloads

Edited by df99, 28 May 2009 - 09:53 AM.