Photo
- - - - -

sincerely curious.. what are the 'legal' uses for a bumpkey?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

This forum is either for locksmiths who want to expand and share their knowledge or for individuals who get locked very often in their own houses and want to find a way out of that (or for individuals who are just interested in bump locking for no real reason, it happens :D)

#22 LockPickIt

LockPickIt

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Like someone else said there are also forums on guns and criminals use them for bad things, the same goes for bumpkeys really.

• redcity likes this

#23 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

I do not have any bumpkeys. Obviously there's been a lot of news coverage about them recently, and someone pointed out this forum to me while ranting about thieves, burglars and bumpkeys .. so the first assumption that I (as well as a lot of other people who had never heard of bumpkeys before) made was that this was a forum for burglars/theives to talk about how they're breaking into people's homes with the keys they're making.

Dude the first thing that came to my mind when I went to this forum is that I need to learn how to use a bump key just in case I lost my original key...

#24 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

I'd say it is legal as long as you use it on your own locks or with the permission of the owner the lock you are bumping. :-)

#25 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

I'd say it is legal as long as you use it on your own locks or with the permission of the owner the lock you are bumping. :-)

Exactly, TanVanMan has given a most appropriate answer cool.png  well done 

#26 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

I do not have any bumpkeys. Obviously there's been a lot of news coverage about them recently, and someone pointed out this forum to me while ranting about thieves, burglars and bumpkeys .. so the first assumption that I (as well as a lot of other people who had never heard of bumpkeys before) made was that this was a forum for burglars/theives to talk about how they're breaking into people's homes with the keys they're making.

You're first assumption is understandable :-) It would be the impression of most people specially for those who doesn't know who else (other than the thieves and burglars) uses bump keys. Also locked doors are not the only way to get in through the house easily. Im sure expert thieves know some other ways than bumping or picking a lock. 

#27 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

You're first assumption is understandable :-) It would be the impression of most people specially for those who doesn't know who else (other than the thieves and burglars) uses bump keys. Also locked doors are not the only way to get in through the house easily. Im sure expert thieves know some other ways than bumping or picking a lock. 

Like, firing a bullet on the lock and now its boom not bump :)

#28 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

Like, firing a bullet on the lock and now its boom not bump smile.png

hahaha.. right.

#29 wasteddaze

wasteddaze

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

Hello to all, criminals do not read this. I seriously hurt my back and needed something to occupy my mind so i took a locksmithing course through the mail. I'm now a licensed locksmith. It was well worth the money because i just like picking locks for fun and I've helped family and friends and myself with lock outs. The best part is i carry picks,bump keys, slim jims and even bolt cutters in my vehicle and i don't have to worry about a bs charge of possession of burglary tools. Foley belsaw worked for me. Just consider the price of the course an insurance policy its better than a prison sentence. 😉

#30 wasteddaze

wasteddaze

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

If you have a can of compressed air kicking around and a tension wrench thats all youll need to pick a lock. Light tension is the trick and not to much air pressure you want to bounce the pins, enjoy