• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeeZus21

GeeZus21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

Can anyone help me out with some links or site on how to prevent being bumped? Special locks ect.... Im doing a speech on how to make, use and prevent bump keys. Any ideas?

Thanks
Michael Pugliese

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:24 PM

Leave your door unlocked, install an alarm system and buy an attack dog and a very powerful handgun.

In all seriousness, there are a variety of locks which are either very difficult to bump, or outright impossible. The general problem with these locks is that they're either a.) very expensive b.) obscure and difficult to obtain or c.) unreliable.

If you put a latch on your door that operates on the inside, I assure you that no one is going to bump it. Adding that seventy-cent latch from your local hardware store is far more effective than buying a better lock. Even the top of the line locks don't always prevent bumping, so it's a more elegant solution.

Medeco locks, as I've learned from my recent experimentation, are very difficult, although not impossible, to bump. It requires a very special bump key that is very hard to make and works rarely. Other locks which use non-conventional methods of locking generally work, but good luck getting them serviced.

So... first, watch the TOOOL video on lock bumping. It clearly demonstrates that unless your lock is specially made to prevent a bumping attack, the more expensive locks actually get easier to bump, as the tolerances are tighter making the process work in a more fluid manner. You can find that video (seven minutes and change long, about 63 MB) on www.toool.nl.

There they bump locks that use regular keys, keys with dimples, keys with grooves cut in the sides... it doesn't matter what you do, there is probably a way you can bump it.

It should be noted for the purpose of your research that many of these specialized keys are not in public circulation, and I know of no public source for people to buy them. In that sense, it offers some degree of protection, but certainly not on a technical level.

#3 GeeZus21

GeeZus21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:24 PM

Leave your door unlocked, install an alarm system and buy an attack dog and a very powerful handgun.

In all seriousness, there are a variety of locks which are either very difficult to bump, or outright impossible. The general problem with these locks is that they're either a.) very expensive b.) obscure and difficult to obtain or c.) unreliable.

If you put a latch on your door that operates on the inside, I assure you that no one is going to bump it. Adding that seventy-cent latch from your local hardware store is far more effective than buying a better lock. Even the top of the line locks don't always prevent bumping, so it's a more elegant solution.

Medeco locks, as I've learned from my recent experimentation, are very difficult, although not impossible, to bump. It requires a very special bump key that is very hard to make and works rarely. Other locks which use non-conventional methods of locking generally work, but good luck getting them serviced.

So... first, watch the TOOOL video on lock bumping. It clearly demonstrates that unless your lock is specially made to prevent a bumping attack, the more expensive locks actually get easier to bump, as the tolerances are tighter making the process work in a more fluid manner. You can find that video (seven minutes and change long, about 63 MB) on www.toool.nl.

There they bump locks that use regular keys, keys with dimples, keys with grooves cut in the sides... it doesn't matter what you do, there is probably a way you can bump it.

It should be noted for the purpose of your research that many of these specialized keys are not in public circulation, and I know of no public source for people to buy them. In that sense, it offers some degree of protection, but certainly not on a technical level.

Thank you that was very helpful
Michael Pugliese

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:04 AM

http://www.wmctv.com...64&nav=menu59_1

This was another local news story in Memphis recently. The product mentioned is the LockJaw. http://www.lockjawsecurity.com/ The concept is pretty simple: lock down the thumb latch on the inside of the door so the cylinder will not turn and the strike will not retract. Of course if the door has windows or is close enough to a window, one only has to break the glass and reach in to unlock the door even with the LockJaw. Also, it appears that someone has to be on the inside of the house to activate this produce. So at least one door will be unprotected by this product when everyone leaves the house.

There is another product on this story called the Power Wedge. http://www.powerwedge.net/ This would also help protect doorways from boot picks/home invasions. Looks like a good idea.

Another approach would be to get stickers made and stick them on the doors (like the ones that the alarm companies use) that say, "The locks on this building are bump proof." Or better yet, "Do not break into this house. You have been warned. Survivors will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

I agree with theo...alarm, dog, gun.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

It seems that for the majority of Americans, that's the real way they protect their homes. Where Europeans buy locks to lock things and prevent them from being stolen, Americans are more worried about home invasion. Thus, a lock is more of a delay, or something that needs to be loudly bypassed by either kicking the door down or using some other route of entry.

So that you can get all of your guns together and your body armor on.

God bless America. :D

#6 JXB7

JXB7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

It seems that for the majority of Americans, that's the real way they protect their homes. Where Europeans buy locks to lock things and prevent them from being stolen, Americans are more worried about home invasion. Thus, a lock is more of a delay, or something that needs to be loudly bypassed by either kicking the door down or using some other route of entry.

So that you can get all of your guns together and your body armor on.

God bless America. :D

I couldn't say it any better. how I see it, fight to the death is the only American way :D

#7 Martin

Martin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:45 PM

I think this is correct that American Locks are best. Although you cant say which lock can be bumped or picked. It depend upon the skill of a person who is bumping or picking the lock.

#8 Uni Lock Man

Uni Lock Man

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:31 AM

I found a way to stop bump key burglars, lock pickers and door kickers from entering my home using these methods. THE UNI LOCK is a super lock and I believe THE UNI LOCK saved my life one night! This little portable lock is the reason the bad guys didn't get through my door that night. Check it out at theunilock.com and see the You Tube video and get one or two for your home. https://youtu.be/FdCIYICi2G0 I use THE UNI LOCK on my door every night and I feel muck safer! The Uni Lock Man

#9 Uni Lock Man

Uni Lock Man

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

Check out THE UNI LOCK! It works Great! www.theunilock.com
https://youtu.be/FdCIYICi2G0

Edited by Uni Lock Man, 12 February 2017 - 01:34 AM.