• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 knox2225

knox2225

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:13 AM

Hey whats up, sorry i posted this same topic in the wrong spot before i think so here it is again... first i'd just like to say what a great site! I went to home depot bought a bunch of locks and keys and files and with the great info off this site i made me some bump keys, after about 30 min of practice i can open every lock i've tried 9 out of 10 times...EXCEPT this MASTER LOCK NO.40 that's like a circular padlock( i'm not sure what they are called), but it takes the same key as the master lock no. 1 and has the same amount of pins, I can use the key that came with the no. 40 that i filed down to bump open the no. 1 lock and the key from the no. 1 i filed down to also bump the no. 1 so i know that both keys work on bumping the no.1 lock and i can bump open every deadbolt i've tried so i don't think its my bumping style ...Can anyone give me any advice on this particular or type of lock? I did notice that the original key that came with the no. 40 didn't have any deep cuts (probably not one cut further than a 3 cut), so that makes the pins need to be pressed up higher and i guess bumped higher? does that make it harder to bump? Thanks for your time to read and respond to my questions and i'm sorry its a long novel but i hate when i read peoples questions and u have no idea what they are saying because they didn't explain everything....thanks again! looking forward to everyones advice!

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

A security pin problem, perhaps?

The high cuts generally help bumping, but if you have a spool or a mushroom pin in there, it could still be fouling you up, especially when you need such heavy tension on the padlocks. The heavier tension causes locks with security pins to bind prematurely.

#3 knox2225

knox2225

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:44 PM

thanks for the input. i dont think the masterlock no. 40 has any security other than four pins, because it uses the same key as the masterlock no. 1 which i believe is called the "M1" key...

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

A security pin would be one of those four pins that you mention. When you're bumping, it's impossible to tell that security pins are in place... except that the lock doesn't seem to want to bump open. It will go most of the way, and when you release tension on the key you can hear a series of clicks equal to the number of pins in the lock.

Given that the No. 40 is a higher security lock in general (the circular, "contractor grade" lock) it is probable that it contains one or more security pins. The solution is less tension, or a stronger striking force to push those pins above the shear line completely.

#5 C0wT1pp3r

C0wT1pp3r

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

i've heard that these are relatively easy to pick with lock picking tools. but that would defeat the point of this website...

#6 knox2225

knox2225

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 04:22 AM

okay thanks, ill try less tension and try out different variations of "force" just as long as I know that its not impossible and i'm not wasting my time practicing on a lock that can't be bumped then i'll keep trying at it until i can bump it open...Thanks for the advice once again