Photo
- - - - -

What helped you when you were learning?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: What is the main factor when learning to bump? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the main factor when learning to bump?

1. Tension on the key. (4 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Strength of tap on key head. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Method used (pull back/minimal motion). (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 satnlafsasurot

satnlafsasurot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

I am asking this question to anyone who had trouble at first then finally got it. I have been trying for 2-3 days now, and make about 5 different keys that i thought to be nearly flawless.

this one here, i cut the bottom shoulder off, but i have read that it doesn't really matter, it simply might scratch the lock a little but only in a cosmetic way. Posted Image

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with it....

Now, the reason i posted this was to ask this question: When you were learning, what tips were you given, or techniques did you discover on your own to finally learn to bump? Was there anything holding you back that you were unaware of and now realize?

I think if we get a nice amount of responses to this, many peoples thumbs will feel better in a few days.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

I think if we get a nice amount of responses to this, many peoples thumbs will feel better in a few days.

:lol: :lol:

It's been said a 1,000 times and should be said again... Tension... Tension... Tension..

Edit: Ohh yea... welcome to the forum ;) we seem to be getting alot of new members today.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

If you want to save your thumbs, do your homework. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

The tension, in my opinion, is what everyone fouls up the most. It is more important than the force that you strike the key with, but if that is sufficiently off, that could ruin it as well.

The method that you use is irrelevant, as long as your key is suited to that method. For example, don't try to use an un-filed key for minimal movement. It sounds dumb, but people do it... and then proclaim bumping as a sham.

And! if you're making your own keys, be very careful. Poor measurement and craftsmanship will not result in a working key.

The previous statement has nothing to do with your specific key, by the way. We see a lot of really nasty attempts at bump keys. For your key, two items.

1.) Why are your filing down the shoulder but not the tip? Is this for minimal movement or pull out?

2.) Check the spacing between pins to a non-bump key Kwikset. Make sure that your grooves are evenly spaced at the proper intervals, and that they are wide enough to seat the pin. (Kwiksets have fat pins, so narrow peaks work well.) Filing down the grooves a bit more can never hurt. Also, increase the slope on the peaks a little bit will definitely help, as that's what transfers the energy into the top pins. If the slope of your peaks is too low, the energy gets sloppily transferred into both the top and the bottom pins, which doesn't work at all.

That being said, your spacing looks pretty good, but it's hard to eyeball. That last peak looks a tad on the large side, so pay special attention to that one. Other than that, tighten up your peaks so that the slope on them approaches forty-five degrees (or perhaps a little less) relative to the horizontal, and you should have yourself a working bump key. If you take any more metal off the grooves, like I said, it won't hurt, but if you choose to do so, you shouldn't need very much at all.

Good luck and happy bumping.

#4 satnlafsasurot

satnlafsasurot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

thank you sir. I think me, like a lot of the other new members may be from houston. They ran a small story on talk radio about bump keys. i think that sparked a flame of interest for many people as it did me.

so, did you think my key looked ok? like i said, ive made a few some with higher peaks, some with lower peaks, some with wide valleys and steep slopes, and vice versa. i also have seen pictures of both types and they all supposively work. what do you recommend? i saw a post with three types of valleys and peaks....one was serpentine. i used this style mainly, but i've made the others too.

the whole thing is i cannot get any bit of success.

i want my next post to be a success story.

#5 satnlafsasurot

satnlafsasurot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:40 PM

So, you think i need to get a little more off of the tip? i thought i got some off of there but, i prolly need to do a little more. i went east on it becauise the last couple, i had pretty good, and when i did the tip, i took too much off (on the bandsaw) i cut the bottom shoulder off knowing that it wouldn't make any difference. just an act of despairity i guess, its just the only one i had near the computer, the rest are in the shop. i am 100% sure my spacing is correct though because i took impressions on the key and was very careful. right now i am not worrying about method ( iam using the pull out) until i at least am able to bump once. i just am not sure if my key is up to the proper standards.

#6 Schneider

Schneider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

I think tension on the key will help a lot while bumping as the correct tension will do the job quicker than unnecessary tension.
Schneider
NYC Locksmith