• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sgt-spam

sgt-spam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

Just received my 11-key set... (Thank you.)

Within the first 10 attempts or so I'm able to bump an in-door Schlage dead bolt with all three Schlage keys. I'm using the pull-out method, and it seems quicker (to me at least) to pull two clicks instead of one - especially with the SC20.

Anyway, I'm concerned about bending the keys. Some of the longer ones don't lay completely flat (out of the package) and I don't want to bend them any more or cause any damage. The end of the SC20 is 1mm to 1.5mm off the table when held flat, and some of the other longer ones are up to 1mm off the table. Am I being hyper-sensitive?

[edit: I've looked at some of my other standard keys, and they're not perfectly flat either. I guess that means I AM being a little hyper-sensitive. :oops:]

Also, I've noticed marks on the peaks of the Schlage keys where the pins are hitting. What kind of life expectancy (number of bumps) do these keys have?

So far I'm VERY pleased. This forum has been EXTREMELY helpful - thank you! I have no doubt that the time I spent here before trying accelerated my success!

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

First, welcome to the forum!
From the sounds of it, you've been around for a while... lurking. Thanks for signing up!! Hope you enjoy your stay and learn a lot.

Congrats on your successful bumps!! I know sometimes it takes people MANY hours to actually bump one lock.

Regarding the 'bent' keys... When we actually cut our keys, sometimes there is a slight dip\bend\twist to the end of the key. This occurs when the cutting wheel actually makes contact with the key.... sometimes you can actually see the key 'twist'. While we try to catch these twisted keys sometimes a few slip thru. Also, while you are bumping locks there is a possibility that the key might bend a bit. The easiest way to remedy this is to simply use a pair of pliers and bend it back. I DO NOT suggest needle nose piles... use a pair with a bigger surface.

Life expectancy... Hrm... We really haven't thoroughly tested for life expectancy - when we need new keys we simply cut them to code again!
Perhaps someone else here can answer that one.

Anyhow... enjoy your stay here on the forums ;)

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

The operational life of a bump key depends on how you use it. Someone who is both aggressive and new to the trade can destroy a key in less than one hundred terrible bumps. Past that, however, a bump key should last a very long time, if treated in a gentle fashion.

#4 sgt-spam

sgt-spam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:55 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, and I'll keep practicing.

Keep up the good work!

#5 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:25 PM

key bend when if there is a lots of pressure and tension while turning the key at unsuccessful bumping.