Photo
- - - - -

Do I have to gride the tip of my bump keys?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eternal-skeptic

eternal-skeptic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:48 AM

So I make my own bump keys with my triangle metal file (I would highly recomment a square one so you dont have to square off everything). When I make my bump keys, I usually just grind all the tips to a low level, but when I was looking at the keys from the shop (I dont know why you would ever need to buy a key) the tips (very end of key) is not cut down.

Posted Image

I was just wondering if that part was needed

Also some people have been asking where I get my keys (I make my own). Just go down to the hardware store / locksmith and ask for some misscut keys. I just say its for an art project or something, they shouldnt care and I get them for free. Ive made tens of bump keys all for free, just the cost of the file.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:39 PM

The very tip of the key can be ground down to match all the other grooves on the key. I find this to be helpful when using the pull out method. However, for the minimal movement method, the larger tip doesn't interact with any of the pins, and thus doesn't cause any problems.

It's a rather small modification to file the first groove down, and in the end it's not paticularly necessary. I like the look of a ground down key better myself, though.

Buying bump keys is not a bad idea, as not everyone has the dexterity and patience to make them themselves!

#3 The*Q*

The*Q*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

The very tip of the key can be ground down to match all the other grooves on the key. I find this to be helpful when using the pull out method. However, for the minimal movement method, the larger tip doesn't interact with any of the pins, and thus doesn't cause any problems.

It's a rather small modification to file the first groove down, and in the end it's not paticularly necessary. I like the look of a ground down key better myself, though.

Buying bump keys is not a bad idea, as not everyone has the dexterity and patience to make them themselves!

Okay, for a noob here, can you explain the difference between the methods? "Pullout" "minimal movement"?? Please explain.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:21 PM

Please use the search function for the forums. It's been explained several dozen times already.

#5 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

What I always do is file the tip of any key a bit to make the whole lock bumping process easier. It help me a lot and make the work easier.

Chris