• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barry 1943

barry 1943

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 09:31 AM

For the village idiot like me I want to make sure I understand. I have ordered the 11 key set so I want to not mess them up.
Am I correct in saying there are two ways to Bump? Yes i have read all the forum.
You can take a non filed front end key as received from vendor and put it in the lock, pull it out to the first slope, put pressure on it and Bump it as is.
OR
You can file it as recommended and put key in all the way (not pull out a little) and put pressure on it and Bump it to work).
IS this correct????

Also when you say file it .5mm to 1mm please put that in perspective. I do not have any feeler gages. Are we talking about the side of a piece of standard paper to the size of a matchbook cover??? That sure isn't much just a few swipes of a file.
All help would be appreciated
Barry

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Absolutely. There is a plethora of information on the specifics of the two methods already posted on the forums, so investigate for your own benefit.

In short, pulling the key out one "click", or the equivalent of one pin in the lock, allows the bump key to work right out of the box. After each failed attempt, you must pull the key back out to the proper starting position.

In keys that have been filed, if it has been filed correctly, there is no need to reset the position of the key after each attempt, as the downward pin pressure on the key brings it back to it's starting position.

The best way to judge the amount you need to file each key is by looking at the key itself. Observe the size of the grooves and peaks on the key, and visualize the horizontal displacement necessary to move the pins from their normal resting place (in the grooves) to about half way up the face of the peaks. This is what gives rise to variance in the exact amount that you need to file the key down on both the tip and shoulder.

It is perhaps advisable to become mildly proficient at bumping using the pull out method, having made multiple copies of your keys, before attempting minimal movement. That way, you can file your key a little at a time and test the key to find out when it works. If you have never successfully bumped before, this process is obviously complicated by your not being able to test the key. The actual amount of force you need in terms of tension and strike don't change too much between pull out and minimal movement.

Best of bumping to you, and again, search the forums for loads of additional information.

#3 barry 1943

barry 1943

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Absolutely. There is a plethora of information on the specifics of the two methods already posted on the forums, so investigate for your own benefit.

In short, pulling the key out one "click", or the equivalent of one pin in the lock, allows the bump key to work right out of the box. After each failed attempt, you must pull the key back out to the proper starting position.

In keys that have been filed, if it has been filed correctly, there is no need to reset the position of the key after each attempt, as the downward pin pressure on the key brings it back to it's starting position.

The best way to judge the amount you need to file each key is by looking at the key itself. Observe the size of the grooves and peaks on the key, and visualize the horizontal displacement necessary to move the pins from their normal resting place (in the grooves) to about half way up the face of the peaks. This is what gives rise to variance in the exact amount that you need to file the key down on both the tip and shoulder.

It is perhaps advisable to become mildly proficient at bumping using the pull out method, having made multiple copies of your keys, before attempting minimal movement. That way, you can file your key a little at a time and test the key to find out when it works. If you have never successfully bumped before, this process is obviously complicated by your not being able to test the key. The actual amount of force you need in terms of tension and strike don't change too much between pull out and minimal movement.

Best of bumping to you, and again, search the forums for loads of additional information.

You have been a large help thank you very much. I do search but there is soooooo much on the forum. WHEW! Thanks again
Barry

#4 Willis

Willis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:22 PM

That right, by searching this forum you will find lots of relevant information on these topics.