• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 franksnewaddress

franksnewaddress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:45 AM

1. Do the keys sold from bumpkey.US need to be modified in any way in order to use the pull out method of key bumping or can they all be used "right out of the box?"

2. Which method of bumping is better, the minimal movement method or the pull out method?

Thanks. :D

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:28 AM

Frank -

First welcome to the forum!!

Second, let me suggest the search button on this forum. I'm 100% sure that these questions have been addressed before.

BUT to answer your question: The keys will work with the pull out method.
As far as which method is 'better', it's best to try for yourself and come to a conclusion yourself.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 franksnewaddress

franksnewaddress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thanks. I'm seriously thinking about buying the 11 key set from bumpkey.US but I wasn't sure at first because the last set of keys that i bought (from fleabay) didn't work very well. Plus I filed off too much when I modified them. But again, thanks for the speedy reply!!

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:34 PM

Beware all keys from that wretched auction site!

#5 Joe42

Joe42

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

Didn't see a need to start a new thread for this.

Why does anyone even bother with the M1 bumpkey?

Most padlocks, especially Masters and its clones, are insanely easy to pick in seconds so there's really no need to bump these.

Although I haven't tried picking Master combo locks with the admin key in the back. That takes a smaller key I believe. I can't find this out without buying a new lock since long ago I permanently inserted a piece of steel to block the admin keyhole from any tampering.

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:35 AM

Most padlocks, as you say, can be picked in seconds. We're just interested in bumping, so it's not that bumping is faster, but that it can be bumped. And sometimes when a lock is unpickable in practice, it can be bumped open. This is sometimes the case if the keying is strongly unfavorable. In the hundreds of padlocks I've worn out, that's really only been the case on two of them. Bumping, it should be noted, opened both of them. One of them was a very high security padlock with a nasty key setup and some security pins. I've bumped it dozens of times after it sitting on my desk for months, taunting me.

We had someone discussing the possibility of getting a bump key for the admin lock on the back of the 1525 series Master Combo locks, and they would be quite effective. The two things standing in the way are the fact that to employ a bump key when the lock is attached to something would be an enormous inconvenience, and also... why even bother when you could shim the thing open in less time than it takes to sneeze? If you want to find out exactly what blank it takes, search the forums for threads that include 1525.

#7 Ronny

Ronny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:34 PM

Both the methods are working well and it depends upon once practice, many people like pullout and many like minimal method.