• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobaloo221

bobaloo221

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

i saw bumping for the first time on the news and asked a locksmith about it. I figured a medeco couldnt be bumped as it has off center cuts and the locksmith agreed, but i told him to set me up with a WB core padlock and give me a WB blank with 7, 9 cuts. he did and i can not get it right, obviosuly the cuts are right as they came out of a best key cutter and the key blank is the same as the key way, i put the key in the core pull back one pin and strike/turn i have tried for at least an hour and can not get the damn thing to work, i have tried everything...

#2 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

i saw bumping for the first time on the news and asked a locksmith about it. I figured a medeco couldnt be bumped as it has off center cuts and the locksmith agreed, but i told him to set me up with a WB core padlock and give me a WB blank with 7, 9 cuts. he did and i can not get it right, obviosuly the cuts are right as they came out of a best key cutter and the key blank is the same as the key way, i put the key in the core pull back one pin and strike/turn i have tried for at least an hour and can not get the damn thing to work, i have tried everything...

Are you talking about a Best interchangeable core with WB keyway? If so, that's not the kind of lock to start practicing with. Go to a discount store and get the cheapest deadbolt you can find, and either file down to the deepest depth yourself or have the lowest cut depth key made by a locksmith.

#3 bumber

bumber

Post-Aholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

you are probly turning/tapping to hard that would be my guess.

#4 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:53 AM

Best locks are definately a harder variety if this is your first time bumping. If it is your first time, you should go for a kwikset or a schlage as they are probably the easiest, and the most common too.

#5 bobaloo221

bobaloo221

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

i;ve got it down pretty good, takes about 2/3 tries each bump..

#6 ucantstopthis1

ucantstopthis1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:12 PM

Im surprised a lock smith would make you a bump key.
You can pick your friends. You can pick your nose. But you cant pick your friends nose. :eek:

#7 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Im surprised a lock smith would make you a bump key.

We're locksmiths and we make a number of bump keys each day.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#8 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

It's really a liability issue... if the locksmith thinks that you're a thug that's going to be using that key to break into something, they're certainly not going to make you a bump key for moral reasons alone, liability aside.

If you don't look like a drug addict looking for an easy way to score enough cash for your next high and demonstrate a sincere and genuine interest in locksmithing, they may or may not help you, as even some upstanding sorts could get themselves into trouble. It's all about how you present yourself, your intentions and the policy of the individual locksmith that you're dealing with.

I do some side work for one of my local locksmiths, but his policy is to never provide any sort of entry tool to anyone who isn't contractually bound to the company. He's taken copies of some of my best bump keys, and I've helped him open numerous tricky locks, and even gone out on the road to polish off some calls he wasn't able to get filled quickly. In many cases, as you see, it's not even something personal.

#9 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

If you don't look like a drug addict looking for an easy way to score enough cash for your next high and demonstrate a sincere and genuine interest in locksmithing, they may or may not help you, as even some upstanding sorts could get themselves into trouble. It's all about how you present yourself, your intentions and the policy of the individual locksmith that you're dealing with.

Well that's a given... providing keys a drug addict is not the best idea. Providing ANYTHING material to a drug addict is not a good idea.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#10 Chucklz

Chucklz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

You should look up how Best blanks are stopped in the lock, and modify the key accordingly. Also, what locksmith was willing to provide PKS locks and bump keys? Many of us who collect Best would be very interested.