• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Can someone take a look at this key I scanned in... I have no clue which bump key to even buy or if they make one for BEST locks. Already searched forum. Thanks.

http://www.box.net/public/t2n41ipr7g

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

Sure looks like the BEST BE2 that we have (not for sale yet, though).

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:57 AM

The groove pattern is on both sides. Post the otherside, and the cross sectional view from the front.

#4 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:36 AM

thanks for the help, when can i expect you all to have those in stock?

by the way here is a superbly drawn paint rendition of the cross-sectioned front (no d-cam)

http://www.box.net/public/0z40txi27o

and the back side of the key

http://www.box.net/public/ltqjydj5ei

thanks for your help i hope ill be able to order this and start practicing...

#5 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

http://www.box.net/public/t2n41ipr7g

After reviewing your other two pictures, this is not a BE2 the admin has suggested. It is a Best G kwy, which the BE2 will not fit.

I have an extra one, but do tell what the stamping "UMC" mean.

#6 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

UMC stands for United Men of Corkball and the key is to one of the doors in the building that I own.

Can I find the Best G kwy online? How much would you charge me for it with shipping?

Thanks for your help.

#7 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:42 PM

UMC stands for United Men of Corkball and the key is to one of the doors in the building that I own.

Idiot. Go buy your own lock to practice with, not University of Missouri Columbia owned locks.

#8 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:44 PM

whoa dont call me an idiot i dont think thats too called for. thanks for your help though. and what is the university of missouri columbia?

#9 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:51 PM

Here's food for thought:

The admin suggested BE2 but after seeing the back, it became clear it's a "G", a keyway BE2 wouldn't fit.

After giving it a bit more though, it became apparent it is an institutional key and likely goes to a lock that the holder does not have the authority to tamper with.

University of Missouri Coumbia keyshop confirmed it is one of their keys but that it not a key he deals with, so I have inquired the UMC housing dept, whom confirmed conclusively, from the serial number, that the key is a dormitory key for the Univeristy of Missouri Columbia.

I suspect wrongful intent as if the original poster had the proper authority to use it on university owned locks, there is no reason he couldn't have one issued by their locksmith.

What do you guys think?

#10 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:03 AM

Above and beyond the call of duty, WOT has done his homework. :D

Not that it needs to be said again, but please, boys and girls, if you really want to go to prison that badly, just use a crowbar. If you're dumb enough to be breaking into things, use a dumb method to get in and leave us bumpers out of it.

Much thanks and praise to WOT for some superb detective work.

#11 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:37 AM

I understand your concern in finding out whether my intent is wrongful. I am a new bump-key hobbyist and the closest means of practicing would be my dorm room lock (which I know I don't own to tamper with.)

I know---buy a keyed Masterlock and practice away---but I barely have enough money to buy beer on the weekend, much less money for a ride to a hardware store plus the fee for buying the bump key.

You, WOT... as a seller, can either sell it to me or not, and obviously---after decisive evidence based on your "investigation, " have decided not to sell it to me. Dandy for you. Just as not selling a gun to a person you suspect as a criminal----it doesn't mean you stopped the next local bank robbery.

Ultimately, what I don't appreciate is you giving my university reasonable doubt to start an investigation on me for accessing LEGAL information on the Internet, and doing NOTHING illicit.

#12 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:25 AM

WOT simply points out that you hopped onto the forum eagerly soliciting everyone to simply sell you a Best G bump key, based on a picture of a dorm room key, the origin of which you specifically tried to shroud.

Best locks are notoriously difficult to bump, as they have two shear lines, which causes things to get very fouled up when you try to bump them. Additionally, they are one of the only keys that don't use the shoulder to stop their travel into the keyway, instead using the tip of the key. This comes into contact with a stop plate in the lock.

Thus, with even a few failed bumping attempts by someone who doesn't know a thing about the specific lock, it's going to get broken straight away. Not only will it not be bumped open, but the real key won't work again. If you've never bumped, absolutely do not start with that lock. (Not only will it not work, but as it's been described, it's also criminal.)

So, IF you really want to legitimately get into bumping... blah blah blah... it's an eight dollar generic Kwikset deadbolt. Buy it, file one of the included keys down yourself and figure out how it works. With that knowledge you should be well on your way as an amateur bumper.

#13 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:49 AM

Thanks theopratr for an understanding response. I will try what you recommended... and thanks for not calling up my school and checking to make sure it was legal for me to own lock picking devices in the dorms before you directed me to the information.

WOT please don't come and kill me. Thanks. :?

#14 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:38 AM

Thanks theopratr for an understanding response. I will try what you recommended... and thanks for not calling up my school and checking to make sure it was legal for me to own lock picking devices in the dorms before you directed me to the information.

WOT please don't come and kill me. Thanks. :?

Theopratr is a nice guy and does a really good job with information on a variety of locks and different applications. He also mentions the fact that from the start you have been deceptive. Although you might not deserve to be killed, WOT's solution, I would definitely recommend the Roy D. Mercer remedy: "By god, somebody's gonna get an a$$ whoopin'!!" Hopefully, the folks at the United Men of Corkball will thoroughly give you the beat down that you so much deserve. It is people like you that cause so much trouble for the rest of us who just want to learn something new, have some legal fun and earn an honest wage. If this was my forum, I would ban you. Then, I would do everything I possibly could to help the good people at UMC who are trying to provide a safe environment for students to learn in to bust your balls till you have to crawl for the rest of your life.
What you have done is inexcusable. You lied and that is just not cool at all. You have also made a whole community, UMC's students and staff, feel a lot less safe than they already do. That is just wrong. You have also put this forum and this hobby in a very bad light. For this you should have to pay dearly.

benknefelkamp here is a link that will be helpful for you: http://muffinman.org/yaai/

WOT: When do you want to take that road trip to Columbia? I have a spare 55 gallon drum of Whoop A$$ in the truck ready to go!

That's my nickel's worth (keep the change). I just hate it when some idiot messes up a good thing for everyone else.
Bump it to the next level.

#15 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:18 AM

blk you got some pent up anger there or something?

I lied because I wanted to protect my identity; not to "deceive the community."

This is a KEY forum ahhahahah... ban me all you want...but i didn't do anything that breached the forums rules. Where did you come from anyway? I had already settled my dispute with WOT and ended thanking theopratr like a man. And continue to harass your newbies, I'm sure they'll stay in drones and take the shit I have for something so stupid.

Phuk you blk, you are a dusche with too much time on your hands sucking ass to other memebers on a KEY forum. Get a life. Ban me now, I will leave this place before I spend too much time on such a trivial dispute.

Sorry for the others that have to read this, blk's post was irrelevant and uncalled for and really just plain pissed me off.

#16 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:19 PM

You, WOT... as a seller, can either sell it to me or not, and obviously---after decisive evidence based on your "investigation, " have decided not to sell it to me. Dandy for you. Just as not selling a gun to a person you suspect as a criminal----it doesn't mean you stopped the next local bank robbery.

Ultimately, what I don't appreciate is you giving my university reasonable doubt to start an investigation on me for accessing LEGAL information on the Internet, and doing NOTHING illicit.

Your access to the information is not what I have issues with. When you post a photo of key belonging to UMC system soliciting to buy a bump key cut on a like blank, it gives us a reasonable suspicion you are looking for it to use on locks belonging to the system. It appears to me UMC has a reasonable cause to believe the same.

I'm fairly certain that possession with intent to use on a lock/locks that you don't have permission to use is against the law and it puts us in the bad light if you were to acquire from one of us.

Best advise is don't be an idiot.

#17 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:33 PM

I guess this is where I'll step in.

[quote]I'm fairly certain that possession with intent to use on a lock/locks that you don't have permission to use is against the law and it puts us in the bad light if you were to acquire from one of us. [/quote]

I too believe the same... You are 100% correct!

No one will be banned for this thread.... just a few warnings ;)

We've only deemed it necessary to ban one individual from the boards for explicitly stating that he was using keys for an unlawful manner. I don't feel it necessary to ban benknefelkamp simply because he lied about where the key was from. As it was shown by the replies, anyone that looked at the key knew it was for some type of school.
benknefelkamp made the matter worse by coming up with a stupid meaning for the initials on the key. I failed to see, however, anywhere he stated he was planning to break into rooms, participate in any type of illegal activity, or anything else non-moral for that matter.
Perhaps he is a lock manufacturer that's doing a briefing on bump keying for the school administrators to try and push a new type of locking system for the school. There are endless possibilities (and potential lies) he could state as to why he needed to know about bump keys. If he were to come up with some elaborate lie to try and justify needing a key would it help you feel better? Not me. In the end he is responsible for the actions that he commits. Do I want to help someone break into another persons property? No. Do I want to try and screen and make people pass a 'lie test' before give I give them help? No. What I do want to do, though, is ensure that people with questions actually have them answered.

I've participated in a number of forums throughout my years on line, and I've always felt that information should be shared freely. If someone has a question about something, I'll go ahead and answer it to the best of my ability without hesitation (until they mention the knowledge will be used to break the law). If we always assume that people want information to break the law, burglarize, or create mischief we will definitely hinder the expansion of ideas and slow the creative process of people that truly do have pure intentions.

And now on to another matter - calling of names \ hateful words.

There's no place for swearing, calling names, making fun of, bashing, ANYTHING HATEFUL to take place on this forum. That's just one thing we will not allow to take place... everyone has been warned. This is a place where people can share information freely. We have not censored anyone before, and will not censor anyone in the future (unless you send SPAM \ ads, of coarse).

We truly do appreciate and respect each and everyone of our forum members. We would never show dis respect toward someone, and expect you wouldn't either.

Hopefully I've made some sense here.. It was a looong night last night.

Edited by admin to add quote[/quote]

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#18 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

I apologize to everyone for using offensive language on these forums.

Your access to the information is not what I have issues with. When you post a photo of key belonging to UMC system soliciting to buy a bump key cut on a like blank, it gives us a reasonable suspicion you are looking for it to use on locks belonging to the system. It appears to me UMC has a reasonable cause to believe the same.

I'm fairly certain that possession with intent to use on a lock/locks that you don't have permission to use is against the law and it puts us in the bad light if you were to acquire from one of us.

Alright man! I have already figured out from you and others that you aren't going to sell me a bump key based on the morals of this community that you all are adhering to. You continue to argue this fact and I have already accepted it!

In response to you acting as judge and jury............as slickj has stated,

In the end he is responsible for the actions that he commits.

---and to that I agree 100%.

I can have a BEST g kwy bumpkey in my dorm room reagardless of whether this is the lock system used by my university and not be breaking any laws. In America you can own a crowbar and not be labeled a criminal. You can go on forums about crowbars and ask how to force open doors with them. You can go on forums and ask how to open doors you do not own or have legal access to with a crowbar---just as long as you do not tangibly commit the act.

If you sold me the key it would put you in bad light, as you stated. You didnt. Therefore the community's morals are upheld. I have the information I wanted. I will now leave and get my account deleted.

#19 WOT

WOT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like you got a perfect argument for conduct hearing you'll likely be getting.

#20 benknefelkamp

benknefelkamp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

yeah a conduct hearing for doing legal things on the internet hahahhahahahahh bring it on!

mhmmm
i love getting the last word