• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:05 PM

I was recently pondering the mechanics of bumping high and very high security locks. The infamous TOOOL video shows the funny Dutch guy popping open several European high security locks, which is fantastic in it's own right, but they are nothing more than multi-row pin tumblers or keys that employ dimples on the side of the key rather than a conventional system.

The two locking mechanisms I was considering were the Medeco line and the Assa Abloy locks, both of which are in common circulation here in the US. I've heard of a bump key for Medeco locks being employed, but have never heard of anyone with any details to how it is designed. Does anyone know where I could find a nice, exploded diagram of a Medeco type lock for further study? They're a pain to try to find online.

The Assa Abloys are weird locks. They work using a mechanism similar to a disc tumbler that you'd find on a safe with a sidebar on top that falls into place and lets the cylinder rotate only after the five to seven (or more) tumblers have been rotated to their correct positions. I had a great idea as to how to defeat this system, but I need information as to what the damn things are made out of.

If anyone has an experience, comments, suggestions, advice, etc., it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

I personally don't deal with these locks a great deal... I'll see what I can dig up though.

... moving to the proper forum too.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:34 AM

I only posted it originally under a different forum as it's not pure bumping. A bit of picking, a bit of bumping, and a bit of outright manipulation.

If things go as I hope, my electromagnet will get a workout. :D

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:32 AM

High Security Locks and how they work have typically been protected information for obvious reasons. If a locksmith wanted to learn more about such locks, a class should be available with the company that makes the locks. Or if you have a good relationship with a locksmith that has knowledge that he/she can legally share with you or if you buy one of those locks and dissemble it to learn more about the mysterious inner workings of said locks, then I guess you would have a source of information. I do not think that a public forum that any one can view is a good place for this info to be posted for obvious reasons. It would, IMHO, be like posting ones ss#, bank account info with PIN or other such information. Again, just MHO. On the other hand, one used to be able to search then internet to find instructions on how to make an atom bomb, crystal meth and other stuff. So who knows? I may be completely of base here, but I do not want a chance at trying to figure out how to pick/compromise/by pass an electronic cell door...and then there's the part about being taught "love lessons" by BIG Tyrone... :shock:
Bump it to the next level.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

I, too, have heard of the fabulous dating scene that is associated with the compromise of such locks. I can honestly say that my playing around is for academic study, because I don't often get called to try to open such locks, as their end users generally understand that their locks are of an abnormally high quality.

I have, recently, received a few calls to open such locks, and I generally have to advise that the user "call in the cavalry" to get the thing open, as I don't have the tools or technical knowledge to open the lock.

In studying the mechanics of how some of these locks work, I had an idea of the same caliber as the idea of lock bumping, which made regular pin tumblers obsolete. To verify it, I need more information. If my theory were to be correct, the majority of high risk vending machines would be easily compromised, as would the front door of every paranoid cocaine dealer and government facility. It's all part of the race for better security. :D

I understand the implications of this request for information being posted on a public forum. The specifics of my plan are most likely out of reach of the normal citizen, in terms of materials, but would make a fantastic tool for locksmiths or security professionals. I'd like to share my ideas with the qualified, so PM me if you're interested.