Photo
- - - - -

Are bump keys bought from 'bumpkey.us' ready to go?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mosszaphod

mosszaphod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:22 AM

The keys that are sold by bumpkey.us are they ready to use out of the box or do they need cut / tweaked in any way? Preferably the 11 set in particular...thanks for any information you can provide.

Mosszaphod

#2 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

the bump keys are ready to go. if you want to use the pull out method, where you pull the key out one click you do not need to modify the keys in any way, and you can use them right away, if you are planning to do to minimal movement method, then you need to file down the tip and the shoulder a bit. it is shown how to file the tip and the shoulder in the FAQ's section.

#3 mosszaphod

mosszaphod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

the bump keys are ready to go. if you want to use the pull out method, where you pull the key out one click you do not need to modify the keys in any way, and you can use them right away, if you are planning to do to minimal movement method, then you need to file down the tip and the shoulder a bit. it is shown how to file the tip and the shoulder in the FAQ's section.

Is there any major difference between which method you use? One easier or better than the other?

#4 kinghajj

kinghajj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:10 AM

Most think that the minimal movement method (the one that requires some modification of the key) is easier. I haven't gotten my bumpkeys yet, though, so I don't have any personal experience.

#5 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

In general, I think that keys that have been modified for minimal movement are easier to actually employ, simply because you don't have to fuss around with pulling them in and out with each successive attempt. If the key is well made, however, and you have your technique down to a science, the pull out method is beautiful. No modification required whatsoever.

I think it really boils down to personal preference. If you start practicing with pull out, you'll probably end up thinking that the method you're used to works better, etc.

I can say from experience that the pull out method is fantastic.

I can also say that minimal movement works great.

You decide.

#6 EFlatStrat

EFlatStrat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

I just got my 11 key set in the mail. I tried to bump my Kwikset dead bolt with no luck. How much tension should you put on the key? How hard do you hit it? I pulled the key out one click but when I hit it, it goes back into the lock. Any ideas?

#7 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

Please read the post 'Sticky: OFFICIAL THREAD: can't get bump keys to work'

If you are unable to get an answer to your question please post there. We've had the same questions asked time and time again... the thread is an attempt to consolidate all of our info.

EDIT: http://www.bumpkeyforum.com/search.php and using the term 'tention' returned MANY results.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#8 Lock picker

Lock picker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:09 AM

I just got my 11 key set in the mail. I tried to bump my Kwikset dead bolt with no luck. How much tension should you put on the key? How hard do you hit it? I pulled the key out one click but when I hit it, it goes back into the lock. Any ideas?

You Need to just put enough but not too much and not to hard on hitting it because it could damage the lock.

Step up to the next level of Bumping.
Are you ready?

#9 bowman

bowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 07:19 PM

I am new to Bumping but have done a lot of picking. Wnen picking I put just enough tension on the tool as I would to turn the regular key in the lock, (which isn't much) I would guess it would be the same with bumping.

#10 krash2501

krash2501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

right. I now can open the lock 1-3 times i try now using the MMM (minimal movement method). my BIGGEST problem was the tension. Someone else posted that it only take 13 grams of pressure to turn the cylinder. Thats not much. I started out using the pull out method and I was getting it 1-15 or so times more. Now i use the minimal movement method and wow what a difference. I practiced my tension pressure by using the original key and just feeling how much pressure i needed to apply to turn the key past the center line. If you put just a little to much tension then your success rate drops big time.

So remember LESS IS MORE.:smile:

#11 krash2501

krash2501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

right. I now can open the lock 1-3 times i try now using the MMM (minimal movement method). my BIGGEST problem was the tension. Someone else posted that it only take 13 grams of pressure to turn the cylinder. Thats not much. I started out using the pull out method and I was getting it 1-15 or so times more. Now i use the minimal movement method and wow what a difference. I practiced my tension pressure by using the original key and just feeling how much pressure i needed to apply to turn the key past the center line. If you put just a little to much tension then your success rate drops big time.

So remember LESS IS MORE.:smile:

#12 locksmith673

locksmith673

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

_-_Bump_-_-

#13 psehorne

psehorne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

the bump keys are ready to go. if you want to use the pull out method, where you pull the key out one click you do not need to modify the keys in any way

Actually keys made by BumpKey.us may need modding for locks with a long pin in the position nearest the tip of the key. See
http://www.bumpkeyfo...read.php?t=1949

#14 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Normally they are ready or almost ready to go, this is what makes them better than the other bump keys that usually need a lot of work on them before they are actually usable with locks.

#15 Coleson

Coleson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

So remember LESS IS MORE.smile.png

This is true. Sometimes patience is the key. If you think you're already applying the right pressure on your hand then just leave it like that and wait until it gets through. If you just keep on exerting force on the key you unknowingly put too much pressure on the lock and make a mess out of it instead of just patiently waiting for the key to get through.

#16 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:59 AM

If I base it on other reviews of previous customers, it is ready to use but if you will need to use it on some kind of unique lock, there would be a little modification but that can still be discovered in this forum...

#17 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:05 AM

This is true. Sometimes patience is the key. If you think you're already applying the right pressure on your hand then just leave it like that and wait until it gets through. If you just keep on exerting force on the key you unknowingly put too much pressure on the lock and make a mess out of it instead of just patiently waiting for the key to get through.

A well thought and well experienced answer when it comes to exert the right pressure, patience has always regarded as a great value element

#18 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:31 PM

A well thought and well experienced answer when it comes to exert the right pressure, patience has always regarded as a great value element

Patience is a virtue after all... ;) patience is applicable to everything even when it comes to lock bumping...