• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

i have been trying bumping for about a month or 2 now, and i can bump kwiksets, and weiser locks almost every time now, and i find them very easy. probably the easiest to bump. i found a spare defiant lock in my garage, and have tried to bump it with my schlage keys which wee purchased from here (bumpkey.us). the sc4 key doesnt go in all the way, so i can just put some pressure on it and wack it, and it will open as if i am using the minimal movement method i guess. i can also pull it out 2 clicks and bump it. my succes rate is very low how ever,i can do it 1/15-20 times. i find that the schlage locks are very stiff, compared to kwiksets.

so if any one has any tips on bumping schlage's, please help me out. and which is preffered minimal movement or pull out

thanks.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:03 PM

I just read a thread on here discussing the bumping of schlage locks...

Searching 'schalge' on the site search engine brings up this thread:

http://www.bumpkeyfo...ghlight=schlage

Take a peek at the 4th post :)

I would say his suggestions are spot on. As always, it's advisable to inspect the original key to see if it was cut to a depth of '9'. If it has been, you might want to investigate filing it a bit deeper.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 03:56 PM

thanks slickj and theopratr.

i just have one more question, are locks in a knob harder to bump then regular deadbolts. if they are, can some one say why.

thanks.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:38 PM

The locking mechanism is the same... if one were so inclined, you could actually take the plug out of a deadbolt and throw it into a lock-in-knob system. (In some cases, they're obviously not all interchangeable.)

Aside from that, there are many variables that can affect how the lock is bumped. The lock in knob cylinder is often not as tight as a deadbolt, due simply to the fact that there isn't as much holding it in place. Also, the lock is held by a knob, which rotates by definition, and thus to get a clean bump the knob needs to be immobilized. (This is an even greater issue when you're trying to bump a lock in knob LOCKED.) Different locks have different properties, so investigate.

Personally, I always found knob locks easier to bump in the beginning. I found the height that they normally occur at (waist level) convenient for bumping with some degree of control. Deadbolts generally occur higher on the door, making it a bit awkward.

So, all rumors and personal accounts aside, the two are technically of equal difficulty. The only thing one would need to consider is technique, and the small technicalities of the immobilization of the knob in which the lock rests.

#5 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:14 PM

theopratr, well said.

I like to think of it as "every lock has its own personality". (Masters work in Marriage and Family Therapy)

Approach each lock as a new adventure. They are all different.
Bump it to the next level.

#6 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:27 PM

(Masters work in Marriage and Family Therapy)

I woke up my entire household laughing at that one. Abusive beatings, tense situations, all resulting in their eventual violent popping.

:D

#7 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:40 AM

I agree....

I HAVE to say BLK is has some of the best jokes!! He always makes me laugh.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#8 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

Yes, it is funny, but I do have a Masters in M & F Therapy.

#9 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

AND ANOTHER THING:

I NOW HAVE 105 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 02:04 PM

DAMN - I DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE YOUR POST COUNT!#$

James K. - Lead Support