5 replies to this topic

#1 zubrin2k

zubrin2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hello,

I've just recently gotten into keys and bumping and such and since I don't have any regular keys or locks around, I figured I would order some BEST SFIC blanks and give it a shot. I ordered two different kinds, L, which go to the music building, and F, which go to my dorm. So far I made one bump key, one for my dorm, and it does not work so far. Alas... I looked and looked, and I cannot find a SINGLE thing on the internet about bumping BEST locks. They're regular pin tumbler locks from what I can tell (albeit with multiple splits to support master and submaster keys), so they should bump. Maybe I'm not doing it right, though, perhaps.

Bottom line, though, I have no idea why there's nothing on the internet about bumping BEST locks. They're absolutely everywhere. It's like it's something I wasn't meant to know. haha

Anyway, here are pictures of the first (failed) attempt. I went deep on the valley cloest to the shoulder and the key cracked starting there. Thus, I've been running around the building using the key on locks OTHER than my own. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My wrench beat this bad boy up pretty bad. The metal is soft as hell, can easily be bent by my hands. The real BEST keys are many times as hard.
Posted Image

The split.
Posted Image

The end. Lots of people describe only needing to remove a millimeter or so, I, meanwhile, had to remove about 3 mm before I got to where I could feel the pins moving against the ridges.
Posted Image

Anyway, suggestions greatly appreciated.

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

First.... WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
Glad you joined and uploaded your great pics.

A few things I quickly notice:
1. The HUGE crack in the key!
2. Rounded peaks.

1. If you're breaking the key try MUCH,MUCH, less tension. This is THE single hardest thing to master... but once you've got it... you've got it...

2. Peak 4, in particular, is a bit rounded. You want the pins to strike the side of the peak and just 'jump' up. You could try making the peaks more sharp... if that makes sense?

Also - sometimes locks are keyed to a the deepest setting... if this is the case you would have to file the bump key valley a bit further.

Having a wide valley can be beneficial too - this ensures the pin is all the way down...

I can't tell if you're spacing is correct...
If you're looking for the correct spacing check out: http://www.bumpkeyfo...wtopic.php?t=20 the 2nd link in there.

That's it for now... I've been working all day and absolutely need some sleep. Good night.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:39 AM

You mentioned that these keys fit the Music building and your dorm. Unless you are employed by the school and have the authority to be bumping those locks, you could have a lot of explaining to do if you get caught or you have to explain why a broken key is in a door that you were seen on camera banging on with a wrench. Just a thought.
Bump it to the next level.

#4 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:21 AM

On a side note,

He could also be employed by the school as a security consultant... this he doesn't mention.

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#5 zubrin2k

zubrin2k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

You mentioned that these keys fit the Music building and your dorm. Unless you are employed by the school and have the authority to be bumping those locks, you could have a lot of explaining to do if you get caught or you have to explain why a broken key is in a door that you were seen on camera banging on with a wrench. Just a thought.

Nope. I'm a student, which is why I purposely have all this stuff hidden, didn't even tell my roommate about it.

No, my dorm takes an F key and the music building takes an L key. I'm saying that I bought both blanks, on other words, so I can duplicate keys from both buildings (the primary purpose of this project). illegally, of course.

Don't worry, there are plenty of remote, out of the way doors for me to try the key on. Since the key cracked, I stopped using it on my dorm room lock, since obviously if it got stuck in there, I would be in trouble. If it gets stuck in some utility door that nobody uses, oh well.

Yes, the spacing was based on an existing key and is likely a problem. the key fits perfectly in the lock, though. I can feel the pins pushing against the key if I push it in slightly, and there is some impressioning going on as you can see.

I only wish I was a security consultant. I'm not even an RA, in which case I would have a submaster key to play with also instead of my dorm key.

#6 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:59 PM

AHHHHHHH -

WE DON'T CONDONE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES!!!

This user has been banned for the discussion of an illegal offense!

THIS TYPE OF TALK IS NOT ALLOWED HERE

James K. - Lead Support