Photo
- - - - -

Bump hammers.......availability and quality?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I've searched the web just like everyone else looking for the tomahawk. I've found that it isn't around anymore. Several other hammers are out there though. I was wondering what everyone thinks of these other hammers.

I even saw a video of a guy from tool, suggesting making a hammer out of a diving flipper and a piece of a cutting board.

How much truth is in the videos?

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:58 PM

You can use whatever impact tool you fancy, made out of anything from a stiletto to, I suppose, a diving flipper.

Most of the "professional" bump hammers are some sort of flexible, hard plastic. The heads can be made out of almost anything. I have a hammer with a head which is nothing more than an acrylic block, but I hear that plastic works really well too. It helps if the shaft is flexible, so that the head of the tool can be moving with some velocity. The head must be rigid enough to transfer energy well, but not so hard (or massive) as to injure the user if one were to miss.

A diving flipper actually does approach the an amount of flexibility that would work in bumping. Obviously it's a little on the bendable side, but to each either own. I've also seen hammers than have lead weights available to be used in conjunction with a hollow head on the tool such that one can adjust the mass of the striking surface to suit their own preferences.

I would venture to say that the majority of bump hammers that you'll find on the market are approximately equal in terms of their effectiveness in the hands of a good bumper. They're effective, but if your keys are well made, you can still use the screwdriver without a great loss in effectiveness.

So, purchase one if you want, they certainly make the entire system look more professional, and they are a bit more reliable than improvised tools. If you make your own, keep in mind that it helps to be able to give the striking surface as much impulse force as you can. This means flexibility of the shaft, proper mass, a hard surface that won't deform, etc.

I've seen hammers with built in springs which claim to improve performance. I'll have to try it out, but logically if you're trying to get a clean transfer of energy, a third step (hammer -> spring -> key) is not the way to do it. But to each their own, I suppose.

#3 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:15 AM

Nice information by theopratr. He provided all the relevant information you need. For me I used back of screwdriver as hammer.
Sandy

#4 Kaylee

Kaylee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:35 AM

Whatever tools are used, whether professional or improvised, lock bumping can be learned quickly through practice on a variety of locks.

Toronto Locksmith Available 24/7

247torontolocksmith.com

#5 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

I actually read somewhere in this forum about using the dog bone toy thingy as a hammer for lock bumping...hehe...the poster in that thread said it was effective...

#6 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:17 PM

well, most of the hammers are preferably made of hard plastic but yes such weird hammers do exist and people do use them as per choice and requirement 

#7 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

As long as it works, you can use anything you want...