• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Master Cutter

Master Cutter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Hell, I work for UK Bump Keys and want to share our latest development with you because it has contributed dramatically to bump key technology this side of the Atlantic and KNOW you'll want to know about it. This is not an advert, and when you see what I'm talking about you'll be glad we shared this info with you.

We call it 'Spring-bumping' or 'Bouncing' and the principle is simple. You get yourself a selection of 1mm - 1.5mm compression spring and cut yourself some sizes (We call them LOXPRINGS and supply a range of 4, 5,7,8,10 which has proven to be a wide enough range for the job in hand I've never needed to use shorter or longer). Then slip one over your key. As you can see in the picture above, we take the shoulder right off the key. We did this for other reasons, it just happens to lend itself to bouncing. Then, you put the key in the chosen lock and bump as usual, the only differences are:

1 - You don't need to 'reset' the key each time, the spring will pop the key back out ready for you to tap it again each time. With your other finger applying 'turning pressure' you have to adopt a sort of on/off action, pressure off when the key is coming out, and pressure on when it goes back in. This sounds tricky but you'll get the hang of it in a few attempts.

2 - Your bump-hammer has to be able to give it a bit of clout. Flexible hammers aren't too good as they're also fighting the pressure of the spring. Even your time honored screwdriver might not have the necessary weight as you don't have adequate grip on the shaft. We made our head from stainless steel, applying a rubber 'face' to get the necessary 'thud' to 'ping' the key rather than the 'push' we found some bump-hammers caused.. We call it a LOXWAT (lock-swat, not bad eh?)

[color=darkred]Posted Image

This is our LOXWAT Bump-Hammer

Posted Image

And

Posted Image

regards
chris

click below for spring-bumping videos, it'll blow your mind

#2 Customer Support

Customer Support

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 753 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:24 AM

I like the spring idea. While resetting doesn't normally take that long, any time saved is great. One problem I could for see here in the US is that the end user would have a difficult time filing down the shoulder that far.

I thought I saw something very similar on a news clip demonstrating what lock bumping was. Either way it does look like it could be useful for just whacking away

James K. - Lead Support
For Order specific questions please use the 'contact us' link at the top of our store.

#3 ChicagoLocks

ChicagoLocks

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:10 AM

Great, its really worth reading your post, you presented a nice information and yes, its a mind blowing video - thanks for sharing.
Sandy

#4 LogiGoi

LogiGoi

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

The spring bumping works but it seems like there is only a little difference between using a spring to not using a spring...as I can see in the video, if you include a spring in bumping then you don't exert that much effort but it would take some time while if you don't include a spring, it would require you to exert additional force but it's like a little faster...both of them works and that is just my observation...I wouldn't mind if others have different opinion..hehe

#5 redcity

redcity

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:57 AM

Nice looking bump hammer but nowadys we have more efficient versions of the bump hammers you are talking about but you are right it makes bumping a lot more easier and safer as there is quite a little chance of damaging your bump key

#6 TanVanMan

TanVanMan

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 04:36 AM

The spring bumping works but it seems like there is only a little difference between using a spring to not using a spring...as I can see in the video, if you include a spring in bumping then you don't exert that much effort but it would take some time while if you don't include a spring, it would require you to exert additional force but it's like a little faster...both of them works and that is just my observation...I wouldn't mind if others have different opinion..hehe

I agree and I've seen video which uses only a rubber ring and it seems much easier with just a few bumps and doesn't require a filing down the shoulder that far.