• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blaze

blaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:02 AM

Successfully turn on practice lock. On lock I try for need it turns 90% of the way but does not unlock. Key seems to bump in all the way. Did notice key bent a bit about 1/4 inch from shoulder. Any idea on where and how I need to modify. Thanks!

#2 blaze

blaze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

Forgot to mention it's Kwikset if that helps

#3 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like you bumped it locked...?

Otherwise there's no reason I can fathom that would explain the key moving from it's locked position, but not unlocking the door.

#4 BLK

BLK

Pure Genius

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:30 AM

90% of the locks I work on are KwikSets. The strikes can fail causing the lock to not open completely. There is a spring steel wire in the strike of both the deadbolt and the entry set that breaks and causes this problem. The solution is to turn it as far as you can, then use a pry of some kind (being careful not to damage the door or door frame) to pry the strike away from the strike plate to open the door. If you are able to get to the hinges, you can take the hinge pins out and open the door backwards. This is one of the problems I have seen with KwikSet locks. They are POS.
Bump it to the next level.

#5 Kris

Kris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

It also happened with me few times that key will turn few degrees but unable to unlock, but actually i didn't figured it why because in few more attempts it worked.

Chris

#6 LAlocksport

LAlocksport

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

Try it few more times it will eventually unlock the door.

#7 Katheleen

Katheleen

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Try it few more times it will eventually unlock the door.

This is how it usually is with the locks I've worked with. You'll often experience turning locks without unlocking them when you're using a lock bumping key on high quality locks like Kwiksets. Even when you're using a kwikset bump key, you'll still have to hammer it sometimes.