Photo
- - - - -

Ok we already have a thread about they dont work....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keyless82

Keyless82

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Who CAN bump locks on here? what method do you use? how successful are you bumping ( how many whacks to open ratio) how many doors can you successfully open? i want to hear from the people who can go to a random lock, with no experience with that lock, find out which key that works BUMP IT PERIOD and how long does it usually take to open that door/lock.
this is a QUESTION post for all the EXPERTS on bumping on this board.

How long did it take you to master bumping?

Can you go to a random door or lock and open it within seconds?

How long does it usually take for you to bump a foreign lock?

What method works the best for you?

How consist are you at bumping, can you usually bump a lock on call?

This post is for all the experts that answer these questions, and it will assist nOObs .

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:47 AM

I don't consider myself an expert, but I've been doing this for a while... so the answers to your questions, more or less in order.

I enjoy the pull out method because it requires minimal modification to your keys, and lower probability of miscalculation when cutting your keys. My most reliable keys, however, are modified for minimal movement. Success rates depend on the quality of the lock. Kwiksets are generally first try, Schlage about one in three. Yales are very easily bumped, one in two at least, but all of these numbers increase as you add more pins, Kwikset excluded. If a door has a lock that I have a key for, I can generally open it. If I have never opened that type of lock before and it gives me a hard time, it can take ten minutes or more, and maybe fifty attempts, worst case. (Assuming I have a working key.) Some locks are very, very difficult to bump, and some are impossible. (Best, as I recently found, is very hard to bump due to it's weird construction, and Schlage Primus and Medeco are damn near impossible to defeat.) Other than that, the rest of door locks can be compromised in under two minutes, most in under a minute.

It's taken me about a year to get to the point that I'm at, as well as several new books on locks, not to mention hundreds and hundreds of blanks, a briefcase key cutting machine circa 1959, and about a hundred different locks, either purchased or donated.

If from overseas is meant by "foreign lock", it completely depends on whether or not I have already made a key for that type of lock. If I haven't, I have to find a blank, research measurements for that particular cylinder and spend about an hour cutting and filing a key to specs. If foreign just means new to me, the same thing actually applies. Have key, will bump.

Minimal movement works best, but pull out works with less work on the fabrication side. I cut all of my pull out keys such that the first peak is cut down to the size of the rest of them such that it works rather similarly to a true minimal movement key, as then only the shoulder needs to be filed down a bit.

So after a boat load of time spent and money wasted, I can make my way into most places under most circumstances. It sounds appealing from a criminal point of view, but I hear the dating scene isn't so hot in prison, and even if you can so easily get in, they will catch you in the end. Thus, my skills are limited to helping out police and the occasional lock-out call or friend in need.

And for the n00bs to which this thread is dedicated, it took me forever to bump my first lock. I got horrible keys from this very well known auction site, and was rather upset with the results. I made my own keys, and the rest is history. It's an acquired skill, and perfecting it has to do with a lot of patience and a descent amount of luck. If you get it the first time, great, but you will probably spend a good amount of time crushing the bones in your thumb and forefinger into dust before you really know what you're doing. With that, best of luck. :)

#3 skip 2 my lou

skip 2 my lou

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. It is very helpful to present "reality" to people that want to learn, but have been subjected to the smoke and mirrors.

"these ten keys will open 90% of all doors."

I'm very interested as far as learning a new skill. I have 15 keys and the rapper. I still haven't popped a lock.