• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

hi, ive been researching about bump keys for abot 2-3 weeks now. i have been practicing, and i can now bump the kwikset lock (5pin), with the kw10(6pin), by pulling it out 2 clicks, and then striking it. i can do it almost every time now. i have tried several times to bump that same lock with my kw1 (5pin) key, by only pulling it out 1 pin, but have had no succes. i am not sure why it is not working so any help would be apprecieated.

thanks.

#2 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Perhaps your last pin and/or shoulder are bad? Or perhaps it's just the additional velocity that the key gains by being pulled out the extra pin. Everyone has their own style of doing it, I suppose. 8)

I've used two pins before, but I generally find it less effective than one. I think it's because the first four or however many pins are struck twice, where are the last one is only struck one. Thus, very light tension must be applied so the last pin doesn't bind after the first four are set.

I will say, however, that for my Titan key, as long as the key is in the damn lock, I can just hit the thing and have it open. My normal KW1 is not quite that good, but close.

#3 sniper101

sniper101

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

thanks theopratr,

p.s is it more difficult to lock a lock, compared to unlocking it. i have done it a couple of time but my succes rate is much less then that of unlocking.

one more question. If you have a padlock or just a deadbolt uninstalled, how can you know which direction to turn the key. because when it is on a door it is simple to figure out, but not so much oon padlocks.

thanks.

#4 theopratr

theopratr

The Wise One

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:27 AM

Sometimes I find that locking is trickier than unlocking just because of the position of a lock on a door, as this can lead to an akward way of holding your body. (Dominant hand on the key and non-dominant to bump... takes more skill, and I'm horrible with my left hand... I have bruises on my right hand to prove it!)

Other than that, it should be just as easy to bump a lock closed. The only thing you have to consider, again, is the strength of the hand that's keeping tension on the key. If you use the same hand, it shouldn't give you any problems. Try it on an unmounted cylinder.

Speaking of which, if you have an entire deadbolt assembly, you should be able to tell quickly which way it locks and unlocks. By convention, the direction in which you rotate the cylinder mirrors the movement of the bolt. However, for simple bumping practice, take the whole thing apart until you just have the cylinder and the associated hardward. There's a piece that is attached to the rear of the plug (the part of the lock in which the key is inserted and turns) which holds the actual locking mechanism for the deadbolt. If you remove this piece, you can take out the small stop which prevents the plug from turning in either direction. Make sure to replace the cover that screws on so you don't accidentally remove the entire plug and foul up all of your pins and springs. If you do this, you'll have a free lock to bump in either direction as many times as you wish, without a cumbersome deadbolt mechanism or the restriction of having to alternate between bumping it open and closed. Long and the short of it, you'll have a lock that you can practice bumping repeatedly in the unfamiliar direction.

As for the padlocks, the majority of them open clockwise. Several open in either direction. If you own the padlock, use the key that came with it to check before you start killing yourself. Generally, the plug will give more in the direction that the padlock is supposed to open. Also, when bumping an unfamiliar lock, if you never hear any pins dropping after unsuccessful attempts, you should check to see if you're turning in the right direction. Even though it may give more in the direction you were originally trying, it's not a rule. Try the opposite direction and see if you get feedback from the pins.